Stretch ceilings - a modern trend, a tribute to fashion, but in addition to beauty, they also have the ability to successfully withstand floods, and this will already be of great practical importance, if neighbors have problems, such as problems with plumbing, or during a heavy shower, your house.
Unexpected water in the apartment, even the code, it does not pour down from the stream, but only falls in separate drops, is able to completely ruin both the results of new repairs and recently bought expensive furniture. However, in cases where you have mounted a stretch ceiling, everything may not be so catastrophic.
- 1 Will any stretch ceilings be saved if the neighbors are flooded?
- 2 What can I do if I find water on the stretch ceiling?
- 3 What to do next?
- 4 How can you drain or drain water from the stretch ceiling yourself?
Will any stretch ceilings be saved if the neighbors are flooded?
Some firms specializing in installing suspension ceilings and tension type, praise the latter, ascribing them the ability to retain water, but this statement is only partially true - it all depends on the material of the fabric used in the manufacture of stretch ceilings. If it is a fabric with a special waterproof impregnation, then the waterproofness of such a cloth is a very relative concept. The fabric ceiling is capable of resisting flooding for some time, but after an hour or two, the liquid will inevitably trickle through its surface.
If you suddenly poured the stretch ceiling from the fabric, it still has to be changed completely. It can not be repaired: even if it is possible to completely drain the water from a stretch ceiling of this type, there will be noticeable ugly stains and colored spots on its surface, which it is unlikely to wash away.
That's why you should not install a fabric stretch ceiling in those rooms where there is a high probability that it will be flooded with neighbors from the upper floor if they have accidents with water supply in the kitchen or in the bathroom. It is better to equip such rooms with a ceiling made of PVC film, since a PVC film can withstand the weight of one hundred liters of water, without missing a single drop of it.
Of course, the vinyl ceiling can stretch out a lot, forming a large bubble, but the film still does not break, it's so strong. The danger of a rupture is greatly increased if you are flooded with hot water - the heating film can stretch out so much that it touches something sharp, for example, to a corner of the furniture. However, the presence of hot water on your ceiling is an unlikely event, since while it passes its way to your apartment, it is likely to cool down considerably.
Vinyl ceiling has a remarkable property: if you drain water from it, it can restore its shape.
What can I do if I find water on the stretch ceiling?
First of all, you need to turn off the electricity in the apartment, removing the plugs or installing all the switches of the cut-off machines in the "OFF" position on the switchboard.
The next obligatory measure is to establish the cause of flooding and to stop the development of the flood. Probably, for this purpose it is necessary to address for the help not only to neighbors, but also in municipal services or even to employees of the Ministry of Emergency Measures.
What to do next?
- Close the furniture with any waterproof film, for example, polyethylene.
- Take out valuable items and expensive equipment from a room that has been flooded.
- Call the firm that erected your stretch ceiling: its specialists installed the ceiling, and therefore they know best of all its design features and the specifics of your room (the dimensions of the room, the location of the electrical wire, the ways of fixing the lighting fixtures).
How can you drain or drain water from the stretch ceiling yourself?
Through the corner
There may be a situation where you need to immediately start draining the water from the ceiling. If there are no light fixtures on the ceiling, you can try to drain the water through the corner closest to the "bubble". To do this, remove the plinth, poddev it, for example, a screwdriver and using a spatula to pull a piece of cloth from the baguette. Do not forget to stock up a couple of buckets or large basins to receive the pouring water. In this case, the water must be gently "adjusted" to the place of draining with the hands or the wide end of the squeegee. The difficulty of this method is that it is necessary, balancing on a table, chair or stepladder, for a long time to work with a heavy cloth.
Through the openings into which the lighting fixtures are inserted
Draining of water from a stretched ceiling is possible even if there are holes for ceiling light in the canvas. To perform this procedure:
- remove the lamp closest to the "bubble";
- insert a rubber hose of sufficient length into the hole and lower its other end into a previously prepared water tank;
- drain the water, and then remove the remaining lamps;
- After they and the ceiling dry, you can install all the light sources in their previous locations.
A few tips for those who try to independently repair the stretch ceilings after the bay:
- Start with a power outage: water that gets on the wires and in the fixtures can cause a short circuit that can lead to a fire.
- You can not try to pierce the vinyl ceiling, hoping that through the "little hole" the water will neatly flow into the substituted bucket. Under the powerful pressure of water, a small hole can turn into a "huge hole", or an "inflated" canvas can burst
like a balloon when it is pierced with a thin needle. In this case, the repair of the ceiling can only be carried out by replacing its old cloth with a new one.
- It is not recommended for a small bay to arrange "waves" and try, without draining the water, just distribute it inside the surface of the canvas. The remaining moisture can cause fungi and mold in the under-ceiling space, which in turn can damage the health of residents.
- Do not try to dry the ceiling with a household hairdryer to restore its original smooth surface. It's useless. Such work can be done only with the use of professional equipment: a construction hair dryer or an industrial heat gun.
- It is necessary to correctly assess the extent of the problem. With a large amount of water, it may be necessary not only to professionally dry the PVC liner, but also the concrete ceiling itself, as well as the treatment of all elements and surfaces with antiseptics. Perhaps it will also be necessary to restore plaster, so that its crumbled and damaged pieces do not "shine" through a translucent or transparent cloth, if you have it that way.
- You should be extremely careful when working with boiling water. This is dangerous and harmful to health, especially if you do not have thermo-gloves.
- It is worth asking for help from specialists if the water has accumulated on the seam of the panel or caused such a strong sagging that the canvas is in dangerous proximity from the sharp corners of cabinets or shelves.
Thus, you should not drain the water yourself from the flooded ceiling, as, most likely, you do not have the necessary equipment. If serious mistakes are made during the operation, the ceiling may become unrepairable, and the huge volumes of "your" water that poured on the floor may cause the flooding of your neighbors from below, for your reason, which will probably not only be very unhappy, but, will make their financial claims.