Painting walls on your own is a great creative work for the embodiment of your fantasies and creating comfort in the house. Painted surfaces - it's convenient, if they get dirty, you can safely wash them. Even with mechanical damage, you can always paint over the damaged part of the wall.
How to paint the walls in the apartment with your own hands? It is important to properly prepare the surface and follow a certain sequence. Before painting, make sure that you have purchased the necessary dyeing tools and materials.
- 1 Choose which paint
- 2 Preparation of walls for painting
- 3 Paint Preparation
- 4 How to paint a wall with a roller
- 5 How to paint brick walls
- 6 Painting the walls in the bathroom The bathroom with painted walls looks beautiful, but because of the high humidity the painting of the walls of the bathroom requires special attention. How to paint the walls in the bathroom? It is important to choose the right paint suitable for painting walls in wet areas and eliminate dampness and fungus. In such places there is always a reason for overmoistening, which must be eliminated before painting begins. The presence of mildew or fungus on the walls may be due to persistent staining or due to lack of proper ventilation in the room, as well as due to hydraulic problems. To remove mold, you can use a sponge, a cloth or a brush. After mechanical treatment, carefully dry this place and treat with an antiseptic. Make future free air circulation in the bathroom so that the mold does not reappear. Painting the walls in the bathroom with your own hands is better with a roller. Painting walls in the kitchen
- 7 Painting of walls in a nursery
Choose which paint
The most common are alkyd paints and water emulsions.
To water-based paints are:
- Acrylic - well cover the walls, very persistent, without the unpleasant odor;
- Vinyl - give the walls a pleasant matte shade, combined with different types of surfaces. Disadvantages: water vapor is poorly passed, and the surfaces covered by them are easily polluted;
- Acrylic-vinyl paints - have the properties of the two previous types;
- Latex - very durable, have excellent coating characteristics, quickly dry. Disadvantage: characteristic odor;
- Acrylic-latex - very durable, they are used for painting rooms with high humidity. Ideal for corridors and staircases.
Typically, water colors are white. To get different colors, they add color.
Some prefer mineral water-dispersion emulsions. They are:
- Lime (based on slaked lime) - the surfaces they painted can not be washed, so now they are rarely used, although they have a budget price;
- Silicate (based on lime and liquid potash glass). The coating is durable, easy to clean and has a vapor permeability. These paints are more often used for painting facades;
- Cement (binder - cement). Cover get strong, but the color fades quickly.
A separate group consists of alkyd enamel paints. Unlike aqueous emulsions, they are diluted with acetone or special solvents. These colors perfectly hide the stains. Usually they paint wooden walls. These include:
- Oily or chlorinated rubber paints. The coatings are durable, shiny and well washable.
- Acrylic enamels - resistant to erasure, allow the walls to "breathe".
- Structural are innovative colors, they give the walls a decorative texture. To apply a thick, ductile mass, special tools are used. These colors allow you to realize any decorating idea.
Preparation of walls for painting
Proper preparation allows you to paint internal walls without divorce and avoid mistakes that can take several hours of tedious cleaning. Also, the preparatory work helps to ensure the quality and durability of the painted coating.
How to paint the walls with water-based paint? First, prepare the room for repair. Take out all the decorative items, remove the curtains. Ideally, it is better to remove the sockets, switches, knobs and locks from the doors, or disguise them.
Furniture can not stand, but simply move away from the walls and cover. The floor is covered with paper or plastic wrap.
Here are a few key steps that must be taken when preparing walls for painting:
- First clean the surface of the walls. With a hard brush, remove the droplets and spray the plaster solution. New and damp plaster can have alkalis, so you can not use paints that are made on a solvent basis. This applies to all kinds of walls.
- If the surface is repainted, carefully scrape off the peeling paint layer and fill in the irregularities.
- Then, level the surface with fine sandpaper.
- Completely primuntuyte entire wall, to get a flat surface without dull spots on the treated areas.
- A previously painted wall, in good condition, can simply be washed or vacuumed.
If you decide to paint on the wallpaper, check how firmly they are glued. If they do not lag behind the wall anywhere, it is allowed to paint over the wallpaper.
Before painting the walls, it is necessary to dry it as best as possible. After you have completely prepared the wall and room, you can start painting the walls.
Before use, the paint is thoroughly mixed. You can use an electric drill for this. Acrylic paints are usually sold thick, before applying the first layer they can be diluted with clean water. Information on the required proportions can be found on the package of this paint.
Pour the finished paint into a bucket or paint tray. If the paint is left in the jar, carefully close the jar so that the paint does not dry out.
Choose colors only for interior works, because the house should be environmentally safe. Information about the consumption and the required number of layers, the drying time of the paint is on the package.
How to paint a wall with a roller
If you decide to apply the paint roller, first paint with a brush near the outlets and switches, behind the batteries and at the baseboards. On the bucket set the wire mesh, with it you can remove excess paint. On the painting tray there is already a ribbed part, after immersing the roller in the paint, slide it up and down the ribbed part of the tray, this will help remove excess paint and achieve its uniform distribution. How to paint a concrete wall? Painting of the walls starts from the windows, and ends near the doors. To paint the walls with water-based paint without streaks, alternately roller and vertical strips. The roller evenly adheres to the plane and distributes the paint itself.
For painting walls with water-based paints, the felt roller is most suitable. If you are using a new roller, roll it over the sticky side of the adhesive tape to clear the pile.
How to paint brick walls
Bleached brick walls have become a popular and fashionable decoration of the interior. How to paint a brick wall? When painting it, consider several important details:
- Clean the surface with a metal brush and rinse the wall with soapy water. To all the moisture came out of the pores, have to wait at least a week.
- Spank large flaws.
- Choose paint: acrylic or oil paints are good for painting bricks.
- Prime the brick wall, choose a primer, taking into account the choice of paint. Apply a thick coat of primer. Do not start painting until it is completely dry and will create a strong water-repellent film.
Brick wall experts recommend painting with a brush. Direction of coloring - horizontal. You can paint and roller to get a fashionable effect of a carelessly rolled layer.
To obtain the effect of the old masonry, it is recommended to apply the paint with a sponge. Using a sponge, you can add stains of contrasting color to the wall.