Most home owners have repeatedly thought about how to properly paint the roof to improve the operational and aesthetic qualities of the building, because high-quality painting protects the roof from the harmful effects of precipitation, scorching sun, moisture and industrial pollution.
Most often, builders use slate and galvanized iron to create a durable and durable coating. The painted roof looks much more aesthetic and attractive.
Restoration and painting of the iron roof
Iron even the highest quality is constantly exposed to all kinds of negative environmental influences:
- Mechanical impact;
- The pressure of large masses of snow in the winter.
Because of this, the roof begins to decay with time, to lose color, to grow over with moss. Then the old covering can become even leaky, which will lead to the destruction of the entire building.
Requirements for coloring composition
It is better to abandon the oil paint or water emulsion. Whatever the quality of the chosen product, the coloring material will need to be applied in two, and sometimes three, layers.
Before you start, you need to worry about safety. It's not just about protective cables, but also about individual means of protection from the paint itself (glasses, respirator or special mask).
Before you paint the roof, you need to collect all the necessary tools and plan the work itself. Conditionally the whole process is divided into two key stages:
Initially, the condition of the coating is evaluated. The roof is thoroughly cleaned from rust with special brushes. It is important in the cleaning process not to damage the integrity of the roof itself. In places where there is a lot of rust, the roof is very vulnerable to any mechanical interference.
In order to easily remove rust, you can use the store tools for such purposes or try the old "grandfather" method - kerosene.
After the metal is cleaned, it is coated with any anti-corrosion compound. In working with metal surfaces, it is strictly forbidden to use any water based products, but for the treatment of slate even the use of hot steam is welcome.
All open joints and cracks primed. After complete drying, the areas where the primer was applied are thoroughly ground.
Preliminary preparation is necessary to ensure that in the future the painted surface looks aesthetically pleasing, and the dyeing composition itself fully fulfills its role as a protective coating. Picking up the paint, you need to consider what kind of metal will be amenable to coloring (black metal, galvanizing). Work with metal is permissible only in conditions of absolute dryness. For this, the repair is planned for the dry season.
The most convenient means, allowing a high-quality paint the roof of the house:
- Brushes. The method is slow, but accurate. With the help of brushes of different types, you can carefully paint the metal, especially painstakingly staining hard-to-reach places and areas where a large number of primers are concentrated;
- Roller. Allows you to perform work quickly and efficiently. You can purchase rollers at once in several sizes to work at different sites equally productively;
- The spray gun. A great tool for working on large sites. Allows you to paint the wide surfaces quickly and efficiently. However, it is not suitable for working with small details. For such purposes, use brushes or rollers.
How to paint roof from slate
By itself, the slate is quite attractive and fits into any architectural style. However, this does not prevent many homeowners from painting the roof with a slate coating in other colors. As in the case of metal roofing, the process of converting a house consists of two stages: preparing the surface for work and painting itself.
A special advantage of slate is a high degree of adhesion with coloring compositions of any type. All that is required at the initial stage of preparation, is cleaning the work surface from contamination: dust, dirt, leaves, fragments of moss and the rest. If necessary, you can even wash the slate.
What is necessary to get rid of, it's from greasy stains. It is best to use gasoline or special solvents. Otherwise, stains can seriously worsen the end result of even the best quality work.
If the slate is attached to the roof with the help of iron nails, it is necessary to work on cleaning these difficult locations. The surface is cleaned with rust and dirt. Cracks are grounded. It is desirable to cover the iron elements with an anti-corrosive compound.
Choice of materials
Painting the roof of slate is conveniently carried out by spraying. In this case, select the paint and the corresponding type. For example, it is convenient to work with water-dispersion compositions.
Slate will not only look aesthetically pleasing, but will also receive additional protection. In the profile building stores there have already appeared paints of this type, which are designed specifically for working with such surfaces as slate, tile, asbestos-cement slabs.
Another good option is the use of high-quality enamels. They very quickly dry and are easy to use.
As a rule, due to the impurities of special substances, the paint makes it possible to form a smooth, strong and relatively elastic film on the working surface. The roof acquires an attractive glossy luster that does not lose its brightness for a long time. Such a holistic film can provide reliable protection for slate structures.
As in the case of galvanized iron, it is convenient to coat large areas of the slate coating with a roller using a roller. You can buy several similar tools, different in size. This will save both time and effort.
However, the roller is a good tool only in working with a flat surface. Wavy type of slate can be treated with a sprayer or a suitable brush. Several types of tools can also be useful here.
Experts recommend to paint from the top down. Thus, it will be possible to avoid ugly smudges, and to orientate in the space on the roof will be more convenient. Another important nuance is to paint the slate better vertically, row by row.
Some experts believe that the surface of the slate is better first primed. This helps to further strengthen the adhesion of the working surface with the coloring composition, but this does not always make sense.
And global repairs, and small restoration require a lot of investment and resources. However, the knowledge of certain nuances and special construction tricks will save your resources.
Here are just a few valuable tips that can be useful to everyone who is going to update the roof of their house:
- For painting metal surfaces, it is advantageous to purchase paints with an improved composition. The main difference is the absence of water impurities and the presence of anti-corrosion elements for protection. Usually such a paint is better "grasps" the surface of the metal roof due to the improved adhesive qualities. In addition, they form a fairly elastic film, which is important, taking into account the property of the metal to expand with prolonged exposure to high temperatures (for example, in the summer under the scorching sun);
- Choosing the paint to work with any type of surface, many forget about one very important quality - the fire safety of the coloring composition. As a rule, the more modern the product, and the more well-known the brand-producer, the stronger these important qualities are expressed. If there is no corresponding marking on the paint bank, you can check with the seller-consultant;
- Zirkol is a matte acrylic composition that has become extremely popular lately. Experts advise to pay attention to the new product, focusing on its impeccable performance. It contains active anti-corrosion additives, as well as absolutely fire-safe.
If the owner of a private house is not confident in their abilities, it is better not to carry out such labor-consuming work himself. It is better to seek professional help.