In an effort to make their homes comfortable and comfortable, owners of city apartments and country houses use a wide variety of techniques. One way to change the space that has become familiar is the redevelopment.
The kitchen, combined with the hallway, is an original variant of redevelopment that allows you to solve several tasks at once: increase the functionality of the premises, "carve out" a few additional square meters, radically change the interior and, of course, realize your creative intentions.
In this article we have collected only useful information that will help you implement the boldest ideas for re-planning the kitchen-corridor zone.
It would seem that the difficult thing is to combine the kitchen and the corridor? However, there are a number of nuances that need to be considered even at the stage of preparation:
- Develop several options unite the kitchen from the hallway and choose the most optimal in terms of functionality of both rooms, the availability of free space and compliance with basic safety requirements (sanitary, hygienic, fire, etc.).
- Make sure that the redevelopment of this type will not affect the bearing walls, and get permission if necessary.
- Think over all the details design your kitchen, combined with the hall: from the color range of walls and furniture selection to the number of lamps and decor.
If you plan to combine the kitchen with the corridor on your own, you will need to make a list of the necessary building materials and purchase them. Another option is to provide a solution to all questions to specialists by contacting a company that develops and creates interiors. Typically, such companies offer several projects with a photo of similar interior solutions, which will greatly facilitate your choice.
For reference: The area of kitchens in apartments of old construction is from 4 to 6 square meters. In modern buildings and private houses, the kitchen space is 11-12 sq.m. - not so much, given that furniture and household appliances sometimes can occupy more than half of this area.
What do experts advise?
As in a private house, and in a city apartment, a kitchen combined with a living room is not uncommon, while a kitchen unit combined with a hallway is not so common.
This is explained by the fact that many factors contribute to the implementation of such a redevelopment project - from the transfer of communications to compliance with SNiPs. That's what experienced architects and designers say:
- The likelihood of combining the gasified kitchen with the hallway is very small. In accordance with safety requirements, the rooms in which gas appliances are located must be isolated from other rooms by means of dense partitions with doors. The presence of open arched and doorways is not allowed.
- If the redevelopment project provides for the complete or partial destruction of the bearing wall, the housing inspection will approve it only on one condition: there should not be residential or gasified premises in the area of the combined kitchen on the ground floor. At the top of the floor above your future kitchen should not be a bathroom or a bathroom.
Important! The project of redevelopment and transfer of communications must be coordinated with the BTI and the department of architecture. Otherwise, violators will face an impressive penalty, as well as the cost of restoring the layout in its original form.
- Wiring of communications is an important stage in the development of a kitchen project combined with a hallway in any small apartment. Think of ergonomic and reliable options for piping sewage pipes, water pipes, electrical wiring. Do not forget about the hood: it will not be superfluous even if the combined zone "kitchen-hallway" is equipped with a window.
- In accordance with safety requirements, the width of the passageways in the unified zone "kitchen-corridor", furnished with furniture, should be at least 1 meter. The optimal width is 1.2 m.
Advantages and disadvantages of kitchens combined with hallways
Like any other layout, the integration of the corridor with the kitchen (and also the hall or living room) has its pros and cons.
Unquestionable The merits of the united zone are as follows:
- Demolition of adjacent walls with a corridor frees up additional space, which can be optimized for their needs.
- The appeared area eliminates the feeling of tightness, besides it will be much easier to bring food from the corridor to the kitchen, take out the garbage, etc.
Among the shortcomings are:
- Difficulties with obtaining all necessary permits in case of transfer of communications.
- The need for well-designed zoning, with which you can separate the cooking area from the corridor and close access to the kitchen of dust and dirt entering the house through the front door.
- The rapid spread of the smells of cooking food throughout the house.
Curb with street mud will help partitions, as well as special moisture and dust-absorbing mats, which are placed at the entrance door outside and inside. As for the smells, the solution to this problem is to install a quality hood and purchase furniture with tightly closing doors.
Developing the interior of the kitchen, combined with the hallway, use the following recommendations of professional designers:
- The distance from the "kitchen-hallway" zone to the far wall of an adjacent room or furniture in it should be at least 1.5 m.
- The optimum width of the countertop for rooms of this type is 70-80 cm.
- The built-in hob should be located next to the inner wall at a distance of 10-15 cm from the edge of the countertop.
- The recommended distance from the edge of the countertop to the sink is at least 5 cm.
These tips can be used both to create a kitchen, combined with a hallway in a private house, and for the combined zones "corridor-kitchen" in a small apartment.
To visually separate from each other the kitchen and corridor space, apply zoning. It can be done with partitions, various finishing materials, furniture, household appliances, etc.
For example, the partition can be permanent (made of brick or plasterboard) or mobile (in the form of a dense screen mounted on rails, which are fixed to the ceiling and floor).
If you want to zonate the room with a finish, then decorating the hallway should be done in subdued tones, and the interior of the kitchen is bright and bright - such shades will make the room visually more spacious and create a positive atmosphere in it.
The floor in the kitchen area can be made of floor tiles, and in the corridor - from laminate, and vice versa. Also for zoning, stretch ceilings, visually delimiting the space, and the lighting system are ideally suited.
Note: choosing a floor covering in the united zone, give preference to practical and moisture resistant materials. They must withstand heavy loads and frequent wet cleanings.
The kitchen along with the long and narrow hallway leaves not so many design options, however in this case it is possible to find the optimal solution.
The most popular are types of planning, As L-shaped, two-and one-row.
In the first case, all kitchen furniture and accessories are located along neighboring (not opposite) walls, which leaves enough room for maneuver.
With a two-row layout, also called the English word "galley" ("galley"), furniture, stove, sink, refrigerator and wardrobe are assembled along opposite walls.
If the rule of the width of the passage is observed (1-1.2 m), then two people can miss each other, however, there will not be enough space for dining.
One-row layout is used in long corridors: all furniture - both kitchen and dressing room - along with large household appliances, a stove and a sink are built along one wall, leaving the opposite free.
To the selection of furniture for the kitchen, combined with the corridor, you need to come up thoughtfully. Since most of the burden on the premises will be on the cooking process, the number of cabinets for clothes and shoe cabinets should be reasonable.
To create an anteroom there will be enough kit consisting of tightly closed chest and wardrobe with sliding doors, as well as a locker for shoes. The optimum depth of the section for the hallway is no more than 40 cm.
Visually increase the corridor will help large mirrors and correctly placed lamps.
To protect food and dishes from street dust, buy a kitchenette: a set of pendant lockers and floor cupboards with swing doors. If the layout of the apartment allows, use kitchen-niches - they are comfortable and compact.
Also well-proven three-tiered kits, giving the opportunity to fill the entire space along the wall from floor to ceiling and find a place for almost all kitchen utensils. A cumbersome dining table can easily replace a compact bar counter.
Remember: Light furniture shades make the kitchen interior visually light and airy, creating the impression of a large space.
Secrets of lighting
Lighting plays an important role in creating a thoughtful interior kitchen, combined with the hallway.
Usually, the corridor is devoid of any windows, and the sources of light in this room are a suspended chandelier, wall lamps or floor lamps. If there is enough pair of not very powerful sconces or built-in lamps for the hallway, then its integration with the kitchen requires a brighter light.
Provide it will help three classic options:
- Suspended chandelier for the kitchen. It is mounted in the center of the room, creating the necessary level of illumination of the entire space.
- Spotlights. They are placed directly in the cooking zone - so that during the cutting of products and other manipulations the working space is well lit.
- Sconce. This lamp can be placed on the border with the hallway or near the door to an adjacent room.
When choosing lighting devices, pay attention to the quality of the materials from which they are made. Fixtures should be protected from high humidity, be resistant to steam and grease.
The united zone, which will be obtained as a result of re-planning, will radically change your housing and make it more comfortable and modern. We wish you creative inspiration and success in realizing your dream!