Decades in a row the popularity of linoleum, like flooring for corridors, kitchens is breaking all records. Distinguished by affordable cost, a variety of drawings, color solutions, enviable performance indicators, he took a worthy place in our homes.
If you are looking for this material, you should know how to choose linoleum for the kitchen and hallway to get a quality coating that can last for many years, retaining its aesthetics and functionality.
Key selection criteria
Selecting linoleum, initially should determine for yourself a group of factors that directly affect the duration of the service flooring:
- The room for which it is intended (kitchen, corridor, bedroom, children's room);
- such features as resistance to moisture, sound absorption, class of wear resistance, the presence of antibacterial properties;
- number of people who live, which determines the passability index;
- compliance with the interior solution of the premises for which it is intended.
Types of linoleum
So how to choose linoleum for the kitchen and the hallway, which will last for a really long time with the preservation of its enviable indicators?
Initially, it is necessary to determine what varieties of this flooring are presented in the domestic market, to establish the advantages and disadvantages of each.
It can be natural or synthetic materials.
For its production, jute fabric, linseed oil, cork and wood flour, pine resin, limestone powder, natural dyes are used.
Its advantages include:
- exceptionally natural, environmentally friendly composition;
- preservation of color and structure throughout the entire period of operation;
- resistance to abrasion;
- bactericidal properties;
- resistance to burning, that is, a fallen match will not leave a trace on it;
- ease of maintenance;
- a variety of color solutions.
Among the shortcomings is high cost, weak resistance to high humidity (it is undesirable to use for bathrooms) and fragility, manifested in cracking at kinks.
The basis of single- and double-layer PVC linoleum is a non-woven heat-insulating or fabric material.
Among the advantages of the coating are:
- affordable cost;
- low thermal conductivity;
- ecological cleanliness;
- current nonconductivity;
- resistance to decay;
- A rich palette of drawings, color solutions, patterns.
Highlighting limitations, It is worth pointing to the sensitivity of the coating to high temperatures, poor resistance to fats, chemical solvents and alkaline solutions, a sharp decrease in elasticity at low temperatures, leading to cracking.
A variety of products, presented in the modern market, will allow to choose single-color variants or with an original pattern, corresponding to individual operating conditions.
The coatings imitating a natural stone, a parquet board, a laminate, a tile are popular.
When choosing linoleum, it is worth while to pay attention to a number of secondary factors that play no less important role:
1. Room dimensions. You can not select the material's yardage without a stock. This is especially true for coatings that require a fit pattern. Part of the material will go to niches under batteries, various projections and transitions, rapids.
The width of the linoleum should ideally match the width of the room, which will eliminate unsightly joints in the middle of the room. If there is no such width, stop the selection to be greater. Surplus can always be cut off.
2. Carefully inspect the selected material for marriage. Various irregularities and detachments are a sign of inadequate quality. This may not be a factory marriage, but the result of improper transportation or storage, so go shopping with trusted stores and warehouses.
3. Polyurethane linoleum is necessarily wound on a special bobbin, the absence of which will indicate a poor-quality product.
4. If you want to lay the same linoleum in all rooms, then you need to buy it all at once. Different batches can differ among themselves in a shade that will be noticeable to the naked eye after stacking.
5. If you manage to negotiate in the store take linoleum samples home, to determine how it will look on your floor, then this is the ideal solution. You can see if the color solution and texture match the overall design style of the kitchen or corridor.
6. Do not add this coating so that it forms folds, kinks. Linoleum always folds face down, because otherwise the surface can be scratched or dirty during transportation.
7th Stop your choice on a material that has a special protective coating, endows it with durability, increased wear resistance, and ease of maintenance. Any contamination can be cleaned with a mild soap solution.
8 Choosing options for kitchens and hallways, give preference to thick linoleum with a reliable protective layer. Thin coating in rooms with high throughput capacity will quickly become unusable, losing its attractiveness. The best solution will be .
note on semi-commercial variants characterized by increased strength in comparison with coatings intended for domestic use.
There are still such varieties of linoleum as glyptal or alkyd, colloxin and linoleum-reel, but for a number of good reasons none of them has become widespread in everyday life.
Some shrinkage, some contain substances dangerous to human health, others crack.
If you consider all these features, then the process of choosing the optimal version of linoleum will not be a problem for you.
Knowing the nuances, based on your own preferences, the available amount of money and the given interior style, you can easily choose the option that suits you in all respects.