A rectangular metal sheet matched to the size of the garage door can move along the rails and open (horizontal position) or close (vertical) entrance to the garage. The main elements of the design of the swivel gates: the gate itself and the frame, made from profile pipes, bars, etc. Auxiliary elements: rollers, levers, rails, compensating springs. In the closed position they are stretched, in the open position they are weakened.
Turning gates with their own hands can be done. Calculate the number of materials necessary for this. The cost calculator takes into account two main parameters: the height of the opening and its width.
Types of gates
There are several types of gate designs that can be installed in the garage:
- sectional door;
- up and turn gates;
- swing gates;
- sliding gates.
Garage doors can be made by hand. In the presence of material, tools and the ability to do design calculations of the design it is quite affordable.
Sectional vertical gates are made of metal, wood or plastic. This is a popular type of gate from the sections, it is simple to manufacture. The gate sections are removed when opened in a special compartment above the entrance.
Lifting gates. Their opening is accompanied by a lift with a special lever mechanism. All the door leaf rises. For a small garage this construction is not suitable: there is not enough room where to lift the body of the leaf.
Sliding or sliding gates, such gates are easy to make, they do not take up much space, you can open them with your hands or with the help of an automatic drive.
Swing gates are a classic gate option. Hang on the hinges, like ordinary doors. As a rule, such gates open to the outside, the space inside the garage is not occupied.
Lifting and swing gates have the properties of lifting and rotary models. Such gates are strong and reliable, it will be difficult to penetrate the garage to uninvited guests.
There are two types of construction of the lifting and tilting gates:
- On the hinges. Gate leaf moves along the rails, the return to the opening position is produced by springs, which must be well adjusted.
- On the counterweight. A cable is attached to the door. On the other side of the cable is a lifting mechanism. This design is most often used for heavy doors.
The gate can be opened manually or automatically, as well as remotely, using the remote control. Insulate the gates with ordinary foam.
Advantages of construction
Lifting-rotary design has several significant advantages over traditional garage doors:
- The main part of the gate (sash) can be made from a single sheet of metal and can be faced with any suitable material. An additional protection against penetration will serve as the integrity, seamlessness of the metal.
- Completing the installation instructions exactly, you get a reliable design that is not afraid of corrosion, durable, compact, easy to use, does not require additional care.
- Lifting the gate can be done manually or automatically.
- Security. The design of the gate reliably fixes the leaf of the leaf and protects it from falling.
There are up and down gates and shortcomings:
- The shape of the opening. It should be rectangular. Otherwise, you will not be able to make a quality installation.
- Between the frame and the shield there may be gaps. If the garage is heated, you will heat the air.
- The whole leaf of the door leaf is not only a virtue, but also an inconvenience. Repair the entire canvas, if necessary, and not separate areas.
When the gate is open, they slightly reduce the height of the opening.
Installation of the gate on hinges
The swing-and-tilt gate is a flap that rises up using a special roller mechanism and is placed on top parallel to the floor. Usually, such gates are made ready, installation can be done independently.
The lifting and tilting gate can be installed by hand. This will require:
- door leaf;
- Corner 40x40 and 35x35 with a thickness of 4 mm;
- steel pins;
- the electric drive;
- channel and steel rod;
- a spring with a diameter of 30 mm;
- Wooden bars or profile pipe for the box and for the ceiling.
The leaf can be made of boards, upholstered in tin. Insulate with foam, the face of the gate is finished with plastic or wooden panels. Before you make a decor, evaluate the conditions. If the garage is located on a remote, unprotected territory, it is better to make the cover vandal-proof.
For the gate device you will need:
- welding machine;
- an electric drill and a bulgarian;
- set of drills, hammer;
- wrenches, screwdriver, construction level.
Before you begin to work, determine in detail the design of the gate, as well as make measurements of the necessary size and put them on the drawing.
In the drawing, specify the dimensions: height and width, the location of all necessary elements and details.
After the preliminary stage, you can proceed directly to the manufacture of the gate.
From the prepared bars or profile pipe, mount the box. To fix it, use iron plates or gons. Install the box in the opening and secure, for example, with pins.
Assemble the sash. First, the frame is made. If it is made of metal, you will need welding. If the main material is taken corrugated board, it is attached to the frame with the help of self-tapping screws.
If the leaf is made of wood, sew it with the selected material, then give the front part the desired decor with the help of plastic panels, etc.
Assemble the swivel mechanism. In it, the bracket will become a support for the spring. The spring and the bracket can be connected by means of an adjusting spring.
The hinge unit is made of a corner with a hole 9 mm in diameter. The corner is fixed by welding.
To make rail rails, two corners are taken. The shelves are welded so that the distance between the upper parts is 50 mm.
Installation of the guide profiles is carried out. The door leaf is inserted into the guide profiles. Connect with levers and springs, which drive the blade. When installing, note the strict parallelism of the guides. Skew does not allow the valve to normally rise, it will seize. Fixation of the leaf in a certain position is made by a special spring. Its tension is regulated by a nut.
Installation of the gate on the counterweight
In the lifting gates, the upper leaf leaves up and occupies a horizontal position. The mechanism that drives the gate consists of hinges and levers.
Opened rotary garage gates with the help of a silent system of levers. No rollers or guides are required to open them. This type of gate is easy to manufacture with your own hands. The design includes three main elements: a box, a lifting flap and a driving mechanism.
The whole system is fixed on the box, installed in the doorway. For the movement of the gate the guides and springs (they act as a counterweight) are responsible.
For galvanizing the gate, it is better to take galvanized steel. Its service life is several times greater than that of uncoated steel.
Preparatory work in the opening begins with the installation of the frame in the opening. It can be made of bars or a profile pipe. After making sure that all four parts of the frame are correctly positioned, without any distortion, attach it with anchors to the walls. All the cracks between the frame and the walls you need to make a mistake.
It is possible to equip the gate lifting system with an electric drive with a remote control. Automatic gates will cost more.
What you need to consider when installing the gate yourself
When installing your own folding gate, consider some important details.
- The guides installed on the ceiling must be strictly horizontal. Then the gate leaf will open without any jams.
- Compensating springs can be stretched with different force. For this purpose, a special adjusting device is used.
- On the frame you need to put safety restraints. In the event of an unforeseen breakdown, the door will not fall suddenly onto the car.
- Additional strength of the frame will give its penetration into the concrete screed 2-3 cm. The total weight of the leaf must not be more than 100 kg. This is the optimal weight, ensuring a long and reliable operation of the gate.
Price of the up and down gate
The price of the construction depends on the material from which the gate leaf is made, the size, the type of the lifting mechanism, and also the type of automation, if it is used to open the gate.
Do not pursue cheapness. The miser pays twice, this saying is just the way. Inexpensive mechanism can be short-lived and quickly fail.
Counting the size of the gate yourself, take their width with a margin, 0.5 m on each side. With a width of two meters, the width of the gate must be at least three. With a reserve, the height of the gate is calculated. The average index of this parameter is 2-2.5 meters.
Approach the installation of lifting garage doors with your own hands, so that they work long and reliably, not yielding to their functional characteristics, factory-made structures.