The fence for the house is a kind of visiting card of its owners. It is by the appearance of the fence that the first impression is formed of how much the master of the house is practical and thorough. Without a doubt, the owners of stone fences would always be in the first place, despite its obvious laboriousness and cost. What are the advantages of stone fences?
Stone fence - seriously and for a long time
The main advantage of a stone fence is its unlimited lifespan. For example, you can recall the ancient buildings of stone, well preserved until our days. Some did not succumb to even explosions. Let's list the other advantages of the stone fence:
- A stone fence will fit any architectural style of the building;
- because the stone is a natural material, then the fence from it will naturally and organically look anywhere: whether it's a fence for a dacha, for a house in a village or in the city;
- The natural stone fence is environmentally friendly and safe;
- A solid wall of stone will be a reliable protection against fire in case of fire;
- the installation of such a fence is easy, despite the laboriousness;
- The possibility of combining stones of different types and other materials will create an architectural masterpiece from the fence;
- The stone fence can be either solid or with gaps;
- a solid stone fence together with a deep foundation will create a reliable barrier from the thickets, if the territory behind the fence is not ennobled.
Fences made of brick or stone do require a solid foundation. Only in this case the building will last long.
Foundation for stone fence
Before starting work on the construction of the foundation, you must carefully plan everything on the terrain and draw a sketch. Then, clear and level the territory and mark them with rods and ropes around the perimeter. The foundation for such a heavy structure should be a continuous belt and necessarily reinforced. Its dimensions according to construction norms are approximately the following:
- width of 15 cm more than the finished structure;
- the height of the socle, that is, the part projecting above the ground, not less than 10-15 cm;
- depth on complex soils (podchinistyh, watered) - no higher than the average depth of freezing in your area.
Next, you need to dig a trench in the markup. Fill the bottom with a 5-centimeter layer of sand and carefully compact. Install the formwork. For her, suitable suitable materials: boards, plywood. After the sand cushion you need to lay the frame from the fittings. 8-mm rods are quite suitable for this type of structures. In total, two layers of reinforcing skeletons are needed. The second layer is laid 50 cm below the surface. For greater strength, these two layers are strengthened by vertically hammered rods. At the same time, pipes for the frame of poles are installed. After installation of the reinforcement, the trench is poured with concrete.
To the foundation has gained the necessary strength, it must dry slowly. To do this, it is covered with a wet sacking, which is regularly moistened in hot and windy weather. You can remove the formwork not earlier than in two weeks. Two weeks later, you can proceed to the next stage - the installation of poles.
Fence posts made of stone
It is most convenient to build pillars by the method of sliding formwork. First, around the frame tube, a formwork is installed in the form of a box with a side of about 30 or 40 cm. Then a carefully selected layer of stone is laid in it. It is desirable to place them as close as possible to the walls of the formwork. Then the stones must be removed and laid again with the solution, trying not to leave any voids. Next, just fill another row and leave it to harden.
A day after pouring the first tier, the casing is carefully removed and moved to the third, leaving the second for support. Thus gradually bring the height of the pillar to the planned. Each time, removing the formwork, a thick solution is closed up all the cracks between the stones. Subsequently, it will be necessary to perform the seaming process.
Craftsmen can lay out extreme stones in the form of ornaments - decorative poles for a fence will look beautiful and original.
Variants for manufacturing spans
So, the foundation and the pillars are ready, the mortar is completely seized and dried. It's time to proceed to the next stage - laying out spans. They can be not only stone. A trained eye of a designer or a homeowner will imagine in advance how the whole landscape will look with spans from other, suitable in style or contrasting materials. Let's suggest the most popular options.
- Forged from metal. Forged openwork in the spans will look even more impressive if in the design of the house and the site there are elements with forging. For example, the gate, the gate, the elements of the gazebo, the visor.
- Tree. The stone and wood fence always looks stylish.
- Profiled sheeting. This option is much cheaper and easier to install. Facilitates the load on the foundation. In addition to the usual, there are options for imitating a stone, a wooden covering, brickwork.
- Facing the fence with natural stone. Span can be made of concrete and facing material. In the role of facing can serve as a stone, brick, tiles or panels.
Let us consider in more detail the technology of manufacturing spans made of stone.
This step is performed in the following sequence:
- With the help of fittings and ropes from both sides, we make guides to limit the masonry to the width.
- On the base of the foundation we apply cement mortar.
- At the edges we spread the stones, in the middle we fill all the slits with mortar and substandard stones.
- Bring the series to the end, in the process using a dressing.
- We let it dry for at least 24 hours.
- Spread the next series.
In the process of work, do not allow the solution to enter the external surface of the stone. The last operation will be the seaming process. It should be carried out 3-4 hours after the end of work. After the fusion, the guard should be washed with a brush, a foam rubber sponge and a hydrochloric acid solution. When working with acid, it is necessary to observe safety precautions: use rubber gloves and goggles. To prevent moisture accumulating along the top of the fence, special caps can be installed. Caps can be decorative.
As we can see, the stone fence is simple, though laborious. The complexity of the work can be brightened up by introducing elements of creativity into it: laying out ornaments from stones or picking up stones of certain colors. You can also use colored pigments for the solution to disguise or, conversely, emphasize the natural beauty of the stone.
Stone fence without mortar
A solution for this type of fence is still needed - for the foundation. And then the whole mass of stones is stacked in mesh boxes. So it is called - a fence of stones in a grid or a fence of gabions.
Choosing a fence of this type, you need to remember that the size of the stones should be larger than the holes in the grid. Usually the grid has large stones of beautiful shape, the middle is covered with the remaining ones.
Fences from gabions can look extraordinarily aesthetic and highly artistic, if in the process of laying stones alternate different colors, creating drawings or creating unusual figures from the gabions themselves: columns, semicircles, waves.
What kind of stone can I use for a fence?
Virtually any natural stone. The main thing is that it does not disintegrate from the action of water and looks beautiful. Most often choose:
- a stone stone fence, also known as a "rock". Can be white, black, yellow or blue colors and their shades. Depending on the type of rubble stone is divided into flagstone, bed, wild or ragged stone. The fence of wild or torn stone always has its own unique pattern and looks beautiful.
- a fence of French stone or artificial. A French stone is called hollow slag blocks, manufactured by vibropressing. Then the slag blocks are treated with special moisture-resistant compounds. The artificial stone fence has a kind of natural and has a number of advantages: a variety of colors, a smaller weight, a standard size.
- fence made of bricks. The technology of working with bricks has long been worked out and does not need a separate description. Has no less strength and a neat appearance.
Using natural materials, you can create a durable structure that has a unique appearance and excellent characteristics. The main thing is that it is possible to do it yourself.