Since the time when people began to engage in gathering, there was also such a process as drying. It has been and remains to this day the simplest and most affordable way to save almost all the useful components of products. Today, this task has been greatly facilitated.
The humidity level, the sufficient temperature and the speed of air supply are now controlled by one device without your intervention and control.
In this article we will tell you which dryer for vegetables and fruits is best to choose in 2017, what to look for, and what the customers 'and experts' opinions on this matter say.
What to look for
Now you can easily and quickly, but beforehand appropriately cutting, dry not only pieces of apples, plums, peaches and pears, but also a variety of berries, mushrooms, bread.
There is no longer any need to engage in amateur activities and try to dry fruits in the oven or on the balcony.
The dryer for vegetables and fruits is not a super complicated device. In fact, it consists of a heating element, a fan, compartments for placing products, and the corresponding housing.
Nevertheless, there are a number of characteristics that can complicate the selection process.
We will only talk about those that really are key. So, pay attention to:
1. What it can dry. This can be either shown directly on the box, or detailed in the user guide. As a rule, a mandatory "assortment" of products that can be placed in the dryer, includes vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, greens and berries.
Only in some models it is possible to dry pieces of fish and meat, and also to dry bread. Here it is necessary to proceed from what you are going to harvest. If only dried fruits, then the option of drying to you to anything.
2. The type of control is mechanical or electronic. In the first case, you set the desired mode using a conventional round switch that can be moved in and counter-clockwise.
Electronic control is carried out by pressing the touch or silicone buttons, and all the necessary data are shown on the display.
If you are going to buy a dryer for vegetables and fruits for a person of advanced age, it is better to choose a mechanical control option.
3. Power does not play a primary role here. It is fully commensurable and proportional to the capacity of the dryer.
Here, for example, is a visual video where one landlady compares and tries to determine what kind of dryer for vegetables is better, based on their own experience of using them. It is interesting.
Therefore, if you are going to procure few products and rarely, then choose a model with a small capacity. For those cases when there is a seasonal, but very large-scale procurement of dried fruits, it is better to buy a larger model.
The list of these auxiliary characteristics includes several of these, which should be stopped and described in detail:
- Timer will help to set the time during which it is worth drying. In principle, they are equipped with almost all models. Others are either too old, or have predefined software presets.
- Section adjustment is the ability to adjust their height and placement order most convenient for the drying process. This option can greatly simplify the process and give you more options.
- Hitch-hiking turn off your dryer after the specified time.
Advantages of dryers
Summarizing the review of important characteristics of these devices, I would like to separately highlight the advantages of dryers for vegetables and fruits as such.
1. Ecological compatibility - dried products in such a dryer, absolutely clean and hygienic. In contrast to drying in the oven or on a gas stove, there are no traces of them, or residues of burning, combustion products, etc.
2. It's really fast - cut into slices or slices, loaded them into a section and went to do their own business. And after a short time you have ready dried fruits or dried fish.
Over time, when you master all the features of preparing fruits and vegetables for drying, this process will take even less time.
3. You save not only time - in fact the dryer pays off. This is manifested in the fact that you no longer need to overpay for similar products that are already packaged and sold in supermarkets. They are much more expensive, their assortment is limited, they need to go to the store.
In addition, it is not known how many such packaged dried fruits have lain on the shelf and what they are now of quality and taste. Moreover, this economy "extends" to products in which your dried fruits will be: pies, compote, casseroles, rolls, etc.
4. Assortment you define yourself. If you want only red apples and yellow pears, and wish, you can also harvest white mushrooms, wild berries and other exotic fruits. On the Internet you can find a huge amount of reviews and practical tips for drying certain fruits, as well as individual varieties.
5. In all conditions. Now, in order to promptly dry the aforementioned products, you do not need to necessarily go to the village or to the dacha. Everything can be done easily in any city kitchen at any time of the year. Agree that it is very convenient and practical.
Do not worry, choosing a dryer for vegetables and fruits is actually not as difficult as it seems at first glance. Its principle of operation is very simple and complicate it, most likely, the producers will not.
We recommend that you orient yourself, what will be dried and in what quantities Are the most important parameters. Ideally, if there is such an opportunity, it is best to take the dryer for temporary use, for example, from neighbors or friends.
So you can no longer theoretically, but from a practical point of view, appreciate most of the nuances of the operation of these devices.
Types of dehydrator: which one to choose?
It seems that with the fact that the dryer is a useful thing, we decided. Now you need to decide which one you need. And the first thing you have to seriously think about is what type of dryer you'd better buy.
Manufacturers offer two main types - infrared and convective. And, of course, they say that all of them are practically flawless. Is it really? Now we'll figure it out!
1. The first evaporate the moisture with the help of infrared rays. You are promised reliability and a maximum set of vitamins. What do we have in fact?
|Arguments for"||Underwater rocks|
|Products are processed at a temperature of 40-60 degrees. This approach really helps to preserve the maximum of useful substances.||Are worth a lot. The price starts at 5,700 rubles.|
|The color and smell practically do not change.||Products must be pre-cut in half.|
|Most modern models have very economical power consumption A ++.||Small amount of load|
|The process takes an average of 5-6 hours.||Badly dries nuts - they, judging by the reviews, often remain damp.|
|Infrared rays also have an antibacterial effect: such dried fruits can be stored for up to 2 years.|
By the way: This type is very interesting model - tablecloth-drying. If you do not need a lot of dried vegetables or fruits, pay attention to the infrared mat, which, when used, will need to be rolled into a roll with vegetable or fruit filling. It takes up little space and costs up to 1000 rubles. Unexpected bonus - many use the included "tablecloth" as a heater.
2. Convective - model with built-in fan and heater, which heats air up to 80C. The most common type of dryer. In our rating they "occupied" most of the seats.
How to explain their popularity: successful marketing or high quality?
|Explicit advantages||Unexpected cons|
|Wide choose - more than 200 models of different sizes, shapes, capacity and design types of all price segments.||Drying takes longer.|
|Good spaciousness - You can simultaneously load up to 5-6 kg of vegetables and fruits.||Large loss of useful substances, than in infrared analogs.|
|You can not only dry the plant products, but also meat, fish, poultry.||High power consumption.|
|Affordable price. The most budgetary of the models we found is 250 rubles. On average, for 1,5-2 thousand you can buy a really reliable device.||If in the infrared drying vegetables and fruits almost retain their natural appearance, then they can significantly change. |
True, this does not affect the taste.
Honestly, it's hard for us to objectively say which dryer is better with or without a fan. Answer for yourself a number of questions: what and in what quantities do you plan to harvest, how important is the ergonomics for you, is it possible to remove a noisy unit from the "audible zone"?
We are sure that by prioritizing, you will be able to decide! What else to pay attention to? Read on!
Is it possible to do without a dryer
Previously, vegetables and fruits successfully served at home and without special devices. Is it worth replacing the dryer? Let's see.
|In the oven|| |
|In the microwave|| |
|The natural way (in the sun)|| |
|In the bath||Frankly, this method surprised even us - for it it is required to warm the bathhouse well and hang the cut products on threads or wires near the stove. |
The temperature of about 70 degrees will have to withstand 3-4 hours. Then give it a natural dip.
The disadvantages are obvious - long and labor-intensive.
As you can see, there are enough alternative methods, but they all involve a huge number of inconveniences.
In our opinion, the dryer benefits in all respects from any of the above methods.
Also, you should take care of in advance, where to store all harvested. A good choice will be all sorts of plastic or glass containers, quality food packages with a snake, as well as special bags for storing food.
Practice shows that it is best to buy several such containers of the same model. This move will, firstly, distribute the dried fruit to individual jars, and, secondly, the ensemble of transparent filled containers looks very nicely on the shelf or in the box.