The name of the rustic style originated from the Latin word "rusticus" - a rustic, derived from the Latin word "rus" - a village (simple, uncouth, rude). The name speaks for itself. Rustic style is the use of exclusively natural materials of rough processing, or untreated at all. It is, as close to nature, a rustic brutal style. The simplicity and environmental friendliness of the materials used (mostly wood and stone), a restrained natural color palette, an abundance of free space and clean air - all this contributed to the fact that the rustic style has a huge number of admirers. And, despite the fact that this style arose relatively recently, today the interior, executed in rustic style, is very popular all over the world.
How did the rustic style come about?
Rustic style in the interior appeared and began to be used in the middle of the last century. This is a modified analogue of the American country style with elements of the Russian hut. It is believed that this style arose in the United States and immediately became a traditional style of decorating the houses of middle class people. Gradually the rustic style began to be used by the upper strata of society. In contrast to all modern styles with their abundance of glass and plastic, concrete and chrome parts, bright colors and artificial materials, the rustic style is associated with the cowboy ranch, the smell of wood, cozy evenings by the fireplace and other pleasant moments of life.
Distinctive features of rustic style
Let's take a closer look at all the features of the rustic style.
As mentioned earlier, in the rustic style, only natural materials are allowed. But these are not materials of the ideal form and form, but absolutely natural raw materials that have not been left untouched.
- The main element of the rustic style is the tree. It should be a lot and it should be unmade and not subject to any treatment, except for the purpose of protection from pests. All cracks, irregularities, notches, knots, traces of time should be present on the tree. And, if the tree is not old, it is artificially "aged" and even wormholes with a special device. Ceiling beams, furniture, floors, windows, doors - everything should be made of wood. Even wooden utensils and decorative items are welcome. The color of the tree can vary from a light brown color - walnut, maple, alder to darker tones - pine, cherry, beech, oak.
- Another important element of the rustic style is stone. The stone should also be of a natural kind, not subject to processing. The most common use of quartz, sandstone, limestone, as well as granite and marble.
- Metal in the rustic style, although not playing a leading role, but still must be present in the interior. Kitchen utensils, forged candlesticks, cutlery - an important element of decor. Metal must be old and dark. Best for this fit bronze, brass, cast iron, silver and cupronickel. You can also use stainless steel, previously artificially "aged".
- The walls of the room in the rustic style are usually trimmed with wood or stone. It is also possible to cover them with white paint. It is very desirable deliberate negligence and gross marks from the brush. And only occasionally for decoration of walls apply light wallpaper. On the floor lay unprocessed boards, or decorative stone.
- The ceiling in the rustic style should be girder. At the same time real beams, or simulated - absolutely unimportant. The color of the ceiling should be the contrast color of the walls.
- Windows and doors should look pretty rough and visually suggest reliability. And of course the material for their manufacture is wood. No metalwork!
- Rustic style in the interior necessarily assumes the presence of a fireplace. A cozy country fireplace, rather, even the hearth - the heart of the house. Such a hearth in ancient times warmed the house, cooked food and gathered around the whole family in the cold evenings.
- The color palette of rustic style is discreet, natural, warm and cozy. It's all shades of brown, black, white, gray. And also beige, sand, ocher, marsh and muted-red shades. Brightness of colors and ornaments in this style are completely out of place.
- Fabrics used in the rustic style must be natural. Usually these are linen fabrics of soft natural colors without a pattern, except for ethnic patterns. Very desirable presence in the interior elements of homespun cloth. Absolutely should exclude synthetics!
- As decorative accessories in rustic interior you can use ceramics, wicker baskets, glass and wooden knick-knacks, forged candlesticks and souvenirs, homemade lacy napkins and towels, bouquets of dried flowers or live wildflowers. It will also look harmonious, for example, an old chest or barrel.
- It is impossible to imagine your house today without the fruits of civilization - lighting, communications, and various household appliances. All this, of course, can be used in a rustic style. It is true that all electrical appliances and all equipment are better concealed and hidden. For this case, many techniques have been developed - masking cabinets and various concealing panels.
Kitchen in rustic style in a city apartment
At first glance, it may seem that the rustic style is appropriate to use only in a country house and its use in an urban apartment is unacceptable. But this is an erroneous opinion. It is possible to adhere to the rustic style when decorating, for example, the kitchen in a city apartment.
Of course, in order to completely adhere to the rustic style, large rooms are needed. Log logs, like other bulky parts, will look ridiculous in a small kitchen. However, it is only necessary to connect the imagination, and the result will be amazing.
- The ceiling of the kitchen needs to be sewn with thin boards or wood panels. You can also use the false beams.
- The floor is best covered with parquet, parquet or brown tiles. The main condition - the material must be a tree, or its imitation.
- The walls of the kitchen can be pasted with wooden panels, imitating the surface of logs or boards. To decorate the walls, it is also acceptable to use light unobtrus wallpaper. The color should contrast with the color of the ceiling, floor and furniture.
- All kitchen furniture in the kitchen must be made of wood. This is the cabinets, and the table, and chairs, and all kinds of hinged shelves. The chairs and the table should be sound, comfortable, on thick, stable legs. It is best to use old furniture, or artificially aged.
- For an apron over tables and a sink it is possible to use the panel simulating a stonework.
- Next, you need to decorate the windows and kitchen doors with wooden panels, hang wrought iron lamps, or simulate it.
- If desired, you can create an artificial fireplace. Or decorate the kitchen stove, imitating the hearth.
- Finish the image of the kitchen in a rustic style accessories will help. These are linen curtains and a tablecloth of natural colors, towels and potholders with ethnic ornaments, wrought iron hooks, lacy napkins, clay and cast-iron dishes. Vases with dried and alive wildflowers, wicker baskets and many other pleasant trifles, made of natural materials.
- When decorating the kitchen in the rustic style, the city apartment also uses a color palette, which includes shades of natural, natural colors. But only in this case it is not forbidden to include several bright color accents. For example, green, yellow or red.
Our modern world with its pace, vanity and an endless series of problems is very tiring. And so you want sometimes to relax your soul, retire and regain strength. Rustic style is ideal for this purpose. He recreates the atmosphere of the old house, the atmosphere of peace, tranquility, the calm flow of life. House in a rustic style - truly a dream home!