If you started a renovation in an apartment, you probably wondered how to choose the design of ceilings in each room. So, for example, the ceiling in the foam room or stretch ceiling in the bedroom will look good, but here's the ceiling in the toilet or the ceiling on the balcony is better to build of PVC panels.
Plastic panels are better to cover the ceilings of kitchens, as in these rooms there is often a lot of moisture, soot and burnt, and if necessary, plastic PVC panels can always be wiped with a cloth damped in a cleaning solution, for example. The ceiling of the PVC panels in the bathroom does not deteriorate even if a jet of water hits it, and the plastic mirror panels for the ceiling will look great in this room, especially if they are seamless panels.
The finishing of the ceiling with PVC panels, as well as the finishing of the ceiling with MDF panels, is not too complicated procedure. (For those who do not know, we are reporting that MDF is a medium-density fibreboard).
PVC panels, like most types of fibreboard, including veneered or covered with a cork, or veneered panels, are easily cut and easily fastened by means of rails when installing a ceiling from the panels with your own hands.
The ceiling of the foam plastic in the living room or the ceiling in the corridor from the chipboard panels with a coating of veneer is beautiful, but in the bathroom it is better to install a false ceiling made of plastic panels. Also keep in mind that PVC panels for the ceiling in the kitchen or MDF panels for the ceiling in the corridor will be a more suitable solution if you decide to do repairs.
How to make a ceiling of plastic panels yourself?
For those who do not know what these false ceiling panels are, we inform you that these are plastic strips usually 3 or 6 meters long and 25 or 30 centimeters wide. Their short ends are cut off, and long ones are made in the form of locks, which are a kind of those that are available for laminate plates.
Installation of plastic panels is carried out on a wooden or metal frame from the profile used when installing a material such as GKL.
All kinds of finishing plastic panels inside are hollow with stiffeners. Due to what they have such characteristics as a sufficiently high strength and low weight. In order to cover the ceiling with plastic panels, you also need some special profiles, also made of plastic.
Types of PVC profiles for plastic panels on the ceiling
So, for the installation of a ceiling coating or wall covering, you also need to purchase the following profiles:
- "Start" (necessary to close the end of the panels);
- "F-profile" (designed to close the end of the panels in the corners with the transitions to the wall);
- "H-profile" (used for building PVC panels in length);
- "Outer corner" and "inner corner" (they are slightly similar, but in the structure are arranged so that one is better used to close the ends of the panels on the outside, and the other, at the inner corners);
- "Ceiling skirting" (it is used if the wall is not walled, and the ceiling is made of plastic panels, and represents, in fact, a "refined starting profile");
- "Universal corner" (used rarely, because although it can be used for any angles, the effect obtained from the aesthetic point of view does not look very impressive).
Next, consider how to make a ceiling from the PVC panels in the bathroom or the ceiling in the toilet when the walls of these premises are already covered with tiles, which do not reach the rough ceiling by 5-10 centimeters.
Mounting the frame
In the case proposed for consideration, there are two options: you can attach the skeletons of the carcass above the tile, or you can - and directly on it. The second method must be immediately eliminated, as potentially dangerous, which can lead to damage to the ceramic facing of the walls.
As for the first option, an interesting solution is the following: to buy plaster of gypsum Knauf ROTBAND and apply it over the tile in the form of a narrow strip five centimeters wide, relying on the tile of the finished coating. This makes it possible to achieve a coincidence of the plane to which the profile is to be fixed, with the plane of the surface of the lining.
The guides can be fastened with dowels-nails immediately after the "grasping" of the plaster takes place, that is, in a couple of hours. In this case, if you are building a ceiling in a bathroom of panels or a ceiling on the balcony, then use only galvanized profiles for the frame, since these are places with high humidity.
How to fix PVC panels? Naturally, across profiles. First you need to take the first panel and make it a little shorter (three to five millimeters) than the available width of the room. To cut plastic panels it is possible with the help of a small hacksaw or electric jigsaw, and peel edges with either a sandpaper or a file, while trying not to crumple the panel. Do not forget to also remove the film from the plastic panels before installation, because in the assembled form to remove from them a thin film protective coating will be a big problem.
Next, we start the narrow end of the first panel in the plastic starting profi
le and, slightly bending the panel, set the second end on the opposite wall. Then you need to move this panel to the nearest wall and insert it along the wide side into the groove of the profile on this wall. If necessary, you can use a narrow spatula or knife, taking great care not to damage the material.
How to fix the panel to profiles? Using self-tapping screws and washers. And you need to do this also very carefully, not forgetting that you are collecting a ceiling from panels that are easily damaged even with not very strong mechanical influences. If the bit jumps off the head of the screw, it can easily pierce the panel, which after that, most likely, will have to be replaced with a new one. It is recommended to drill the holes in the profile wall first, and already screw in the screws: this will quickly assemble the ceiling covering from the panels in the kitchen, in the bathroom and in any other room without damaging the material, whether wooden ceiling panels or rafters , or PVC panels for the ceiling.
When assembled (docked) all panels on the ceiling except one, it remains to decide how to mount this last panel? Cut it so long that it was only a couple of millimeters less than the distance between the walls, reduced by the width of one mounting profile. Then insert the panel into one profile until it stops, and its freely dangling end is inserted without problems into the second profile, slightly shifting the panel in its direction.
That's all. It is done. The ceiling is assembled. However, the repair is not finished yet, because regardless of whether the ceiling is fixed on the balcony or the ceiling in the bedroom, or the ceiling in the corridor, or the ceiling in the bathroom, it is still necessary to decide how to make holes for the lamps in it.
They can be pre-cut "on the ground" beforehand, calculating in advance, in which panel, where it is needed, or cut already "in place" using drills or crowns, or even a simple kitchen knife, because the material of PVC panels is very soft and cut easily.
Advantages of PVC ceilings
If you can not decide in any way how to fix the ceiling in the kitchen or in the toilet, then it's time for you to find out what you will get if in the repair of these premises you use plastic PVC panels as a finishing material:
- the possibility of leveling the ceiling with defects of its surface of any character without the need to change the shape of the old coating;
- simplicity of installation of lamps of any type;
- the ability to hide under a plastic coating various communications;
- lightness of construction (it is lighter in weight and in mounting technology, in comparison with plasterboard ceilings);
- you improve both the sound insulation and the thermal insulation of the room;
- you do not need to use "wet" building processes (for example, you do not need the putty necessary for ceilings from gipsokartonnyh sheets), you do not need anything to coat, paint, etc.
- and the most important advantage in repairing ceilings using PVC panels is that you create the most moisture-resistant ceiling cover;
- your ceiling will never become moldy and will not change in the course of time, even withstanding the flood organized by the neighbors from above;
- such a ceiling coating can be repeatedly mounted and dismantled.
Are there any disadvantages?
- Multilevel plastic ceilings never collect: aesthetically not very impressive spectacle.
- For the most part, the plastic panels in any room do not look like design sophistication and expensive room decoration.
- Between the panels, even with the naked eye, joints can be seen.
The scope of application of plastic panels is limited, as a rule, to bathrooms, corridors, loggias and kitchens. And in these cases, it is possible to use a ceiling made of foam plastic or a rack metal ceiling made of thin aluminum-based tape, mounted from so-called rack panels.