Everyone wants to have a large apartment in which are spacious and cozy rooms. However, not everyone is available or simply not possible.
To expand the space, you can break the partitions, but whether to start a big repair, because with simple design solutions you can visually expand the space of a small room.
The question "how to visually enlarge a room" can be given a simple answer: you need to use optical illusions, that is, the usual tricks of deception. Such visualization methods are very important in design and are effective.
Visually expand a small room can be achieved by combining different techniques.
Receptions can be as follows:
- harmony of color and its shades;
- play of light;
- use of reflecting mirrors;
- correct wallpaper;
- curtains and the like.
Visual extension using wallpaper
Visually expand the space of a small room with wallpaper.
This is the most affordable option, however, it is important to consider some rules:
- wallpaper should be without large drawings and patterns, because small parts can significantly expand the volume of a small room. The effect of wallpaper for a small room can enhance the appropriate curtains;
- wallpaper with vertical stripes can visually increase the length of a narrow room;
- also you can combine wallpaper two tones. You need to make the top of the wallpaper light, and the bottom is a little darker;
- visually expand the volume of the room can be selected wallpapers with cold or light shades. It is recommended to use solid wallpaper, as well as avoid horizontal borders;
- to achieve the maximum expansion effect, solid light wallpaper is recommended to combine with functional and simple furniture. A small room should not be cluttered: the sofa should be laid out only for the night, and things of the second need to be hidden in the closet;
- Visually increase the height of the ceiling can be done with wallpaper with a vertical pattern. With such wallpaper, you can stretch the walls upwards, so that the room will look more spacious;
- A narrow and long room can be visually corrected by combining different types of wallpaper. So it is recommended to decorate long walls in light colors to visually expand the space between them. In this case, short walls should be brought closer to each other. For this purpose, one of the walls is made darker. For example, you can play in contrast: on one wall, wallpaper with a small pattern is applied, and on the other side mount wallpaper or wallpaper with a large pattern;
- To revive a dark and narrow room you can use wallpaper of the same color, but the tone is lighter if you glue them on a less lit wall;
- for a space with low ceilings it is recommended to use light wallpaper with vertical stripes.
Use of photo wallpapers
Photo wallpapers are perfect for visual expansion of the room.
Techniques can be different:
- Photo wallpapers that have images with perspective, for example, a distant horizon, a road or a sea of water that runs off into the distance, will perfectly cope with the task of expanding the space. That's why, when choosing wallpapers, it is necessary to dwell not on ordinary pictures, but on those that open distant species. It can be a picturesque path that runs deep into the forest, a mountain range on the horizon, a sea range with tiny sailboats and the like.
- Quite popular spectacular moments, which are caught with the help of photographic art. These are wall-papers in the form of a disturbing stormy sea, giant lightning, sea corals or multiply increased plants. Such wallpaper can create the effect that a small room seems to meet a tempting and boundless world. This approach allows not only to visually expand a small interior, but also modernize it, and also make it incredibly unique.
Photo wallpapers need to be glued correctly, adhering to some general recommendations:
- Wall-papers with a perspective should be glued to a blank wall;
- Do not need to block up the image with high furniture. In extreme cases, you can install a sofa, bed or coffee table;
- for tiny rooms will be appropriate only wallpapers with a light pattern. If you need to visually raise the ceiling, you can use the material with a vertical image;
- for well-lit rooms it is desirable to use images with saturated or cold tones, for darkened rooms, wall paper with pastel themes is better.
Correctly selected curtains will help visually expand the space of a small room.
- You should use light curtains, you need to abandon the thick and dark curtains.
- Long curtains, slightly assembled into an accordion, create an optical illusion of the visual expansion of a small room.
- An important role will play the color of curtains. Colors are better to choose warm and light shades, their color should be close in tone to the wallpaper of a small room. Curtains with a contrasting and dark color will be inappropriate here.
- Large ornaments and drawings will not also look in a small room.
- In the space of a small room, the light curtains that have warm and light colors are best. It should avoid heavy and massive curtains, multi-layered designs with a lot of flounces, bows, ruches and lambrequins.
- Today it has become fashionable to use rather long curtains, which lie slightly on the floor. Thanks to this approach, the room becomes taller.
- An interesting option will be curtains made of striped fabric. The vertical strip will add space to the height, but horizontally the room will become narrower.
Colors for a small room
Color can surprisingly have a psychological effect on a person. In this case, color can affect the perception of space.
- Space is best expanded by light pastel colors.
- The room will be larger if you use one color for the ceiling and walls. In addition, you can make the ceiling a few tones lighter to highlight it.
- To extend the room it is recommended to decorate the opposite wall with a colder and lighter shade.
- To increase the space, you can use the following method - to make decorative elements and the floor in one color, and for walls to apply a softer color.
- You can expand the walls by painting the shelves in a tone for them, as well as selecting curtains of the same color. All these elements will merge, which will create more air space.
- Low ceilings are recommended to be painted only in light colors, with the best use of white color. For this you can use white paint, wallpaper, as well as stretch structures.
- The dark floor in combination with a light ceiling and walls will allow you to visually move the room to the sides and up. The room will be especially large if the walls and ceiling have the same color.
- The darkened rear wall and ceiling visually make the room shorter, however it will expand to the sides.
A great influence on the increase in space will have the use of the correct light and mirrors.
In small rooms it is best to use small lamps. In this case, it is necessary to use the most effective daylight.