The erker calls the glazed part of the wall projecting out of the plane, which looks like the side part of the lantern. The eraser structures can be rectangular, semicircular, triangular or polyhedral.
This architectural element arose many centuries ago. He appeared as a protrusion on the fortress, from which it was easier to shoot at opponents, and years later became a refined window structure. Periodically, the bay window goes out of fashion, but it always returns, because with its help it is easy to give the building an unusual look, to distinguish it among the gray mass. Also the bay windows provide excellent lighting and visually expand the living space.
Many owners doubt: whether it is necessary to buy curtains for the bay window? Do not be afraid to spoil the appearance of this unusual design. Correctly selected curtains only underline numerous advantages.
Choose curtains for the bay window
For the bay window do not produce special curtains. They decorate such windows with the usual curtains made of air fabrics, luxurious curtains and other types of window "clothes". However, there are a number of universal rules, observing which you will be able to hang on the bay window the right curtains:
- Observe the chosen style of the interior. The design of curtains should correspond to the general picture, but not stand out from it.
- Focus on the area of windows. Thus, folded fabric designs will further reduce the small size of the bay window. Whereas multilayered canvases will be appropriate on huge windows from floor to ceiling.
- Remember about the quality of lighting. Thick curtains on the bay window from three windows can deprive the room of natural light, and too transparent tulle does not provide the necessary protection from sunlight.
In the process of decorating bay window structures with the help of curtains, it is necessary to take into account all listed factors, but the functional purpose of the room is especially important.
In the living room
The design of the bay window in this room should begin with a study of the room. In a spacious room that is not overloaded with furniture, you should choose a classic solution - a combination of tight curtains with a lambrequin and transparent tulle. This option will complement the traditional interior, without making it heavier. For the bay window in the living room, which is full of decor and furnishings, roller blinds are needed. They will look reserved and strict.
Curtains in the bay window for the living room will help to hide the unsightly landscape outside the windows. If you live in a dreary area, where apart from the same buildings or boring concrete walls and admire nothing, this is the solution for you. You can decorate the window with chic Austrian curtains, which differ in the abundance of heavy folds, so it will look luxurious, which will emphasize the wealth and exquisite taste of the owners of the dwelling.
Curtains for a small bay window are better to choose lifting, nothing will prevent the penetration of the sun into the room, and, if necessary, they can be omitted. For the living room, designed in the style of minimalism, in this case, and the usual blinds.
If you decide to decorate the window opening with sliding curtains in the floor or with straight curtains, do not forget to add the zest of such a textile construction. To do this, you can form unusual fabrics on the fabric or decorate it with decorative cords.
In the bedroom
Curtains in the bay window for a bedroom should perform its main function: to protect the room from excessive light, creating a comfortable atmosphere for rest. In this regard, for the manufacture of curtains are used, strong, light-tight materials (for example, silk, brocade and satin). To create a modern interior, give preference to roll curtains of these fabrics.
Also often for the bedroom choose curtains for the bay window in the form of curtains or multi-layer curtains. The latter should be more careful. If the room does not differ large dimensions, then massive canvases visually make it even smaller. As for color solutions, for small rooms, choose pastel colors. If the size allows, you can stop the selection on curtains of dark shades.
In the kitchen
The choice of curtains in this room depends on the zone in which the bay window is located. For the working area in the kitchen, preference should be given to roller blinds to the window sill. Since the cooking process is accompanied by the release of steam and moisture, the material must be selected water resistant. Only this ensures the durability of kitchen curtains.
If there is a dining table in the bay window, long curtains can be hung on the windows. It is better that they be white or beige. This will add room. In case of insufficient illumination, the bay window can be decorated with short curtains in the form of an arch.
In the office
Curtains for the bay window in this working room can not be selected in isolation from functionality. Curtains should be made of a dense material that will prevent penetration of sun rays. Given this nuance, to decorate a modern cabinet you need to choose fabric blinds. With their help it is easy to control the degree of illumination.
The window windows in the spacious study, decorated in classical style, are decorated with multi-layered curta
ins with lambrequins. This design adds sophistication to the room, emphasizing the delicate taste and high status of the owner of the cabinet.
In the winter garden
The design of curtains for the bay window in this room is not very diverse. Experts agree that the ideal option in this case - the Roman curtains on the bay window. Their design allows you to protect indoor plants from excess light, without damaging them. Also for this room, sometimes used straight curtains, the length of which from the ceiling to the window sill. But if the first variant of design is universal, then the second one is suitable only for large windows.
Types of eaves for the bay window
Begin the design of windows with the choice of eaves for curtains. There are a number of requirements that the crossbar above the window should match:
- To make the room look harmonious, the shape of the cornice should coincide with the shape of the bay window.
- The stylistic design of the curtain rod for curtains should not differ from the general concept of the interior.
- The fastening system must be strong, otherwise it can not hold several layers of fabric.
- Also, the structure should not be deformed by the weight of the curtains.
- Hooks and clothespins should not interfere with the free movement of the cloths and, the more so, leave defects on them.
Cornices can have both a ceiling and a wall mount. There is also a variety in the materials of manufacture. The most popular options are:
- Metal. They are durable and reliable. They are not afraid of external influences. The disadvantages are quite a lot of weight.
- Wooden. Widely distributed in the creation of classical interiors. It is easy to choose a shade that will repeat the color of furniture or favorably contrast with it. Disadvantages of this option: the tree is exposed to mechanical influences, poorly tolerates moisture and temperature changes.
- Aluminum. This is an excellent solution for those who want to create a multi-layer construction. The products are very light, but at the same time durable. They are resistant to moisture and do not change due to temperature changes. Also, these cornices are flexible.
Separately it is necessary to say about the design features.
- String cornices - suitable only for air fabrics, under the weight of dense materials will sag. Outwardly they are practically invisible.
- Profile - ordinary models, but divided into sections to create the desired shape, and therefore used for bay windows, whose walls form corners. On such cornices the curtains on the rings move easily.
- Round - their advantage in aesthetics. Due to the decorative overlays, the joints of the segments are invisible. This option is suitable for curtains on eyelets.
- Tubular - come from plastic and metal. Plastic are short-lived, as they sag with time. Metal - a more successful option, because they are easy to bend.
- Tire - have special turning parts, with which you can make the desired level of bending. They can have several rows.
- Lifting - most often mounted on the ceiling. Used for Roman and Austrian curtains.
Window windows can become the hallmark of your home. Everyone who comes to visit, can not contain admiration. Choose the right curtains to emphasize all the advantages of this elegant architectural element.