Every florist is not strangers to the desire to see the fruit of their labors as soon as possible. One of the most grateful plants is the diffenbachia - a tropical plant, cultivated for more than a hundred years as an indoor plant.
An effective representative of the family of aroids - the indoor flower of the diffenbachia - deservedly is recognized by the florists. The natural environment of this plant is the humid tropics and subtropics, but it is perfectly acclimatized in the conditions of an office or an ordinary apartment. Fast-growing, large, with a juicy stems plant, which has beautiful foliage (bright green or mottled, with impregnations of white, yellow or light green color), has become a worthy decoration for offices and greenhouses.
Popular types for office and apartment
Among the amateurs, various types of diffenbachia, shrub and stem have settled down. The most running:
- Spotted. Perhaps the most common representative. It reaches up to two meters in height, the width of the leaf is up to 12 cm and the length on the petiole is up to 40 cm. The spots of a white or yellowish irregular shape are evenly distributed throughout the leaf. Blossoms; the first flowering occurs not earlier than after two years of cultivation. To see the flower of diffenbachia is considered a success of the florist, this gift can be obtained only by providing quality care at home. An ordinary-looking flower spike in the form of an ear, wrapped in the bosom of the leaf, in the most annoying, engaged in pollination, can also yield fruits: reddish berries.
- Large leaf. It differs in monochromatic green color, the height of the stem is up to one meter. Leaf large, ovate.
- Dieffenbachia Bauman. The leaves of this species are covered with a small marble pattern, up to seventy centimeters in size.
- Dieffenbachia Vesuvius. Has narrow elongated leaves, is considered the most variegated.
- Dieffenbachia Leopold. On a short stem, light green leaves are placed 35 cm long, with a clearly defined white band centered.
- Shrub. A plant with a small patchiness, a large white vein in the center of the leaf, up to 70 cm high, giving an abundant bushy growth.
Features of the landing of the Diffenbachia
How to plant a dienenbachia? You need to start with the dishes in which the plant that is dear to the heart will grow. Knowing which of the varieties of diffenbachy managed to get a shrub or high growth, we can choose the type of pot.
For the bush the shape of the pot does not matter, more attention should be paid to the volume and height. The pot must be wide so that the expected young shoots have a free place to grow. As the space is filled, we perform a transplant of the bush with a complete replacement of the land or transshipment with partial replacement and the necessary extension of the "living space".
For typical varieties of diffenbachia, where the height of a luxurious plant reaches from one meter to two, and the size of the leaf with the cuttings is 35-40 cm, it is necessary to take care of a decent place of growth. From planting to the time of flowering, it can take two to four years. In the first six months, while the plant is gaining strength, the pot must be a size (height x width) conditionally comparable to the size of the leaf with the cuttings, i.e. 20x20 cm. As the pot grows, the pot must be significantly increased for two reasons:
- The house plant diffenbachia requires a sufficient amount of nutrients and moisture. The smaller the earth clod, the less the plant will receive feed for growth, the more often it will have to be watered and fed.
- To maintain elementary equilibrium. A thick juicy stem, or even two or three, is easily turned over the pot with insufficient mass. Conditionally, the weight of the earth coma should at least double the weight of the green mass. If the soil volume is greater, the diffenbachia, planted in good soil, will thank the owner with a lush, radiant freshness, greens.
Ideal in terms of stability, the shape of the pot for tall diffenbahia is a cube. On sale there are enough ceramic and plastic vases of the cubic form. For those who have the talent for carpentry, it will not be difficult to build a beautiful tub of country style, creating ideal conditions for growth: the roots will get the maximum amount of oxygen for breathing, excess moisture evaporates easily. And the weight of a wooden product is much less than that of a ceramic, which will help to keep the floor in places of pressure from deformation.
Careful Care: Simple Tips
Dieffenbachia at home can not just grow, but also bloom, bear fruit and multiply in various ways.
How to water a diffenbachia? The main thing is not to wet the soil. Cultivation of dienenbachia should be carried out in vases with good drainage and in a soil of special composition containing 1 part of sand, two parts of peat, two parts of turf ground and one part of humus. Dern carefully check for the presence of larvae of insects and worms, then do not look for the cause, why leaves dry and whether the plant has a mysterious disease. For drainage it is better to use expanded clay or broken brick.
Tropical plants love moist air, if the tips of the leaves began to dry up - this is the first signal for moistening the environment. In summer, spraying should be don
e as often as possible, in winter - only once a day.
One of the secrets to caring for diffenbachia is to properly place the plant in relation to the light source. Cultivating different varieties, we try to orient the saturated green plants closer to the window, variegated and with large white patches - to shade or put in the far corner. Variegated varieties grown in bright light can easily lose their decorativeness.
Periodically, the leaves on the plants must be wiped. It is recommended to use a wet napkin, and, since the plant is poisonous, this procedure should be better performed with gloves. Dieffenbachia at home is easy to clean with a terry socks, dressed on the arm. In the bucket, we defend the water (ideally - we take boiled or even distilled, so as not to leave white stains on the sheet), rinse the Hand in a bucket and evenly wipe the entire leaf area, without fear of getting the plant juice on the skin.
By the way, the benefits and harm of diffenbahia are the subject of controversy among amateurs-florists: can a planted flower with a dubious reputation be kept at home?
All tropical plants are more or less toxic. In case of unsuccessful ingestion of dienenbachia juice on the skin, irritation in the form of redness may develop, eye contact can cause temporary blindness. Of small children, of course, diffenbahia should be taken away. But it brings more benefits than it was expected. It turns out that diffenbachia at home has a unique ability to purify the air of benzene and ferromaldehyde, turning the atmosphere of a city apartment into the purest air of the Amazon. With reasonable care, you can enjoy this majestic plant that turns our house into a green kingdom.
Favorite plant: how to protect
Like all indoor plants, diffenbachia is prone to diseases and infection by mites and other insects. How to grow a healthy plant?
A daily inspection is necessary. Stains on the leaves, dried tips, abnormal yellowing - everything can be the first sign of the disease.
- A spider mite will make itself felt by dotted light brown specks and the likeness of a spider web on the bottom of the leaf. The most insidious pest, the fight against it can drag on for months. The infected plant is immediately removed to quarantine in order to avoid contamination of neighbors. However bitter it may sound, it is better to liquidate the diffenbachah infested with the mite completely: the frequency of processing of chemical agents that kill the tick is prolonged for many weeks. During this time, you can grow a new healthy fast-growing diffenbahia.
- The shield is easily detected - its turtles are placed in the axils of the leaves, the cuttings of the leaf are covered with a sticky coating. Effective means of struggle: insecticide "Aktara".
The drying of the leaves, the withering of the flowering plant even yesterday, is not always a sign of the disease. It is afraid of drafts, changing the position relative to the light source is stressful for her, so attentive attitude and love for a green friend - diffenbachia - will allow you to grow a masterpiece of indoor floriculture at home.