Choosing a suitable wall decoration for repairs, we advise you to look closely at the type of coating, like cork wallpaper. They are original and beautiful looking, eco-friendly, can be used as additional heat and sound insulation. Advantages and features of the mass - so in this article we will consider what kind of new coating, how to choose the right cork wallpaper, and for what rooms at home they are best suited.
What is cork wallpaper
Consider, from what and how do this wall cover, its features as a building material.
Cork wallpaper is made from a southern plant, more precisely from its bark. The plant is a famous cork tree, from its bark also makes stoppers for bottles of wine. The plant lives in southern countries, mainly in the Mediterranean region and in Africa.
Cork wallpaper is a small crumb of tree bark, which is a thin layer glued on a non-woven or paper base. The rough surface of the cork is polished and varnished, so the wallpaper acquires a characteristic gloss and smooth texture. Often used to make the gloss wax - then the wallpaper becomes especially decorative and acquire an interesting texture. As a result, the design of the living room, hallway or bathroom is very original and unusual.
Wallpaper based on cork are available, as a rule, in three standard sizes - 300/600/3 mm, 300/300/3 mm or 450/450/3 mm. As we can see, the thickness is the same everywhere, only the width and length of the roll changes.
What are the advantages of wallpaper based on cork:
- Cork cover is very decorative looks, decorates the interior in the bathroom and in the hallway, making them unusual and original.
- This type of wall covering refers to safe and environmentally friendly materials. Cork wallpaper is made of natural tree bark - this is the same, in fact, wood - a standard brownish color.
- Wall coverings based on cork bring into the room a special atmosphere - warm and cozy, make the room truly "residential" and equipped, it will be pleasant to be.
- Especially good cork wallpaper look in combination with solid wood furniture. Also, this coating is well combined with a natural floor covering - laminate or parquet.
- Cork wallpaper, like bamboo, is a very durable coating, they practically do not have a "demolition" - they do not age, do not fade and do not lose their worthy appearance.
- This kind of finish is fire resistant. Moreover, the cork wallpaper in the interior is capable, to some extent, even to withstand the fire, to the last resisting fire - this advantage in certain circumstances can give the very "odds" that will save lives.
- Cork wallpaper for walls is sometimes used specifically to provide the whole apartment with excellent sound insulation. Experts argue that if you have noisy neighbors, then when covering the walls with cork wallpaper, the audibility will become much less. In addition to excellent sound insulation, wall coverings based on cork also keep the heat well.
- Cork wallpaper is not electrified, does not store static electricity, does not collect dust. These advantages allow using them, making out the design of the premises where people with allergies and children live.
- This wall covering has good antibacterial properties, prevents formation of fungi and mold on the walls of the bathroom and the hallway.
- All types of cork wallpaper are practical, they just look after, they do not require the creation of any special conditions, unpretentious and convenient.
- Paste this material is not difficult - who at least glued the usual wallpaper, can paste and cork - technology is similar. In addition, the cork coating does not require preliminary leveling of the walls, perfectly holds in the bathroom and in the kitchen, without peeling off.
- Even if your room, pasted with cork wallpaper, is on the sunny side and constantly lit, the wall cover will not burn out and will not lose its colors.
- The design looks great on the wall, turns an unremarkable room into a trendy and stylish room.
- In addition, cork wallpaper pasted walls, they can also be used not for "direct use" - this material is used to decorate old furniture, giving it a second life. And it looks like this furniture, as if you have purchased a new one, especially if it is combined with a floor covering.
In addition to obvious advantages, such material has several disadvantages, although they are much less, but for completeness of the picture, you should also consider them:
- The first and most important disadvantage is the cost of the cork cover. This price is not too democratic, although it may well be justified by the obvious and undeniable advantages of such finishing.
- The cork for walls is not too resistant to mechanical damage. Therefore, if your child wants to tear off a piece of wallpaper from the wall, then, to his delight, it will work out for him. But then restore the cover in the hallway or in the kitchen will be difficult.
- Since the rolls of cork wallpaper are usually quite small in length and width, there is a lot of material waste, which makes the repair cost even more expensive.
The color scheme of this finishing material is quite wide - most natural natural shades - from sand color to dark brown with characteristic small impregnations. As a result, the design of the bathroom, hallway or any other room is very interesting and original.
The usual colors of cork wallpaper are ocher, gray and brown. There are also colored variants, but less often, and it will necessarily be an artificially painted coating - in the nature of a pink or purple tree bark you will not meet.
Also, you can often see the natural color of the coating, say, brown with occasional colored inclusions. Fusing on
a large canvas in one color, the wall acquires an interesting design and a stylish, beautiful view. It is good, if at the same time the wall covering is "consonant" with the floor covering.
Cork wallpaper in the interior of each room
Let's consider, what features are at design of walls a cork covering in different premises of the house
If you design the kitchen with a cork wall cover, then it is desirable to install a kitchen set of natural colors with a natural pattern, better in the classical style. Thus, natural wood surfaces will perfectly harmonize. And the corresponding floor covering will make the overall picture even more harmonious.
Be sure to soak the surface of the walls in the kitchen with a special compound - otherwise cork wallpaper will absorb all those smells that exude pots and an oven - and as a result, the smell from the walls will be "inexpressible". You can even write this property cover in the minus.
Cork wallpaper, like bamboo, is great for a children's room because of its naturalness, freshness, natural appearance and good soundproof properties - a sleeping child will not bother and awaken anything. In addition, all types of this finish are hypoallergenic, which is also important for young children.
The main thing is to closely monitor that curious kids do not tear off the wallpaper, mechanical fragility is the only drawback in this case.
Cork cover for the walls gives the living room an original look, makes this room light, cozy and comfortable, a true family "oasis". The same properties can brag and bamboo wallpaper. If you want to see your living room as an original, unusual, but at the same time cozy place for the whole family, then cork wallpaper is the material that you need.
Ecological coverage will make a dream in this important room especially pleasant and strong. The favorable microclimate of the furnishings will make it possible to have a good sleep and rest for the night for new labor achievements.
Due to its practicality and ease of care, all types of cork wallpaper are excellent for covering the walls in the hallway. In addition, they do not absorb the smell, dirt and dust, and the stains from them are easily rubbed off.
Due to good sound insulation, no one and nothing will interfere with productive work in the office, covered with cork wallpaper. Bamboo wallpaper is also great for a cabinet.
Cork cover is suitable even for this particular room. Excellent replacement for cold and uncomfortable tiles. A warm cork surface is pleasant to the touch, besides it is completely resistant to humidity, fungus and mold.