The name of upholstered furniture has a direct connection to the form that it acquires as a result of the transformation - the recliner is translated as "chaise lounge". Universal recliner chair has high functionality. Adjusted not only the backrest at the desired angle of inclination, but also provided for the extension of the footrest (stand), which creates convenience for the legs and allows you to stretch the body at full height.
The process of transforming the chair occurs when the button is pressed, as a result of which a solid soft model or office version of the chair takes the form of a comfortable deckchair. In addition, many models provide a rotating base, so you can arrange comfortably and relax, reading a book, listening to music or watching your favorite TV show.
When and by whom were recliner chairs invented?
The developers of the first models of country furniture are American designers and cousins Edward M. Knaubush and Edwin Shoemaker. The recliner chair was created in 1928 as furniture for rest, or more precisely a wooden chair with a retractable footrest designed for outdoor recreation was designed. Soon the idea was improved and implemented by the company "La-Z-Boy Incorporated", which specialized in the production of transforming furniture for recreation.
Types of armchair-recliner
There is a large variety of transforming chairs such as chaise longue. Models differ among themselves:
- type of control (activation).
- structural features of the mechanisms of transformation.
It is worth considering in more detail all the differences. This will help to better understand the design and determine the choice of model.
By type of control
Activation is carried out in three ways: mechanical, using an electric drive and a remote control.
In models of mechanical action, the inclination of the backrest changes as a result of pressing it with the body of the seated person. Under the weight, the backrest is simultaneously lowered and the step is pulled out. The reverse process (folding) occurs when the body moves forward. In some models there is a special lever that activates the folding / folding mechanism.
Electric recliners with electric drive are transformed by pressing the fixed or remote control button. In some models, the backrest adjustment is carried out smoothly, and the selected torque is fixed.
In the advanced recliner seats, you can set the memory for your favorite position, and it will be installed in automatic mode after pressing the control button. For example, TV mode for easy viewing of TV shows, which is provided in all models. Electric models with remote control can be adjusted at a distance from anywhere in the room.
On the structural features of the mechanisms of transformation
In total, two types of mechanisms for chair-recliners have been developed:
- Frameless system with built-in mechanisms. Models are the simplest design in which the mechanisms are one with the furniture frame, since they do not have their own base. As a rule, in the armchairs there are three fixing positions of the unfolding mode. The step in such models is advanced on telescopic rails, it can also be equipped with a "book" mechanism (drop-down type) or "dolphin" ("diving" type).
- The device with a base (support). This model is the most mobile at the choice of a convenient position, since it uses a rotary mechanism. Such structures are quite complex: you can individually or synchronously change the position of individual elements of the chair (backrests, footboards). The mechanisms of transformation allow to rotate the chair in all directions (by 360 °).
In some models of the reference type, there are additional functions, thanks to which comfortable condit
ions and ergonomics are created, which considerably improves the efficiency of rest. Today consumers are offered:
- Models in which heating elements are integrated.
- Rocking chair.
- Furniture attributes, complete with their own audio system.
- Professional recliner chairs with massage options.
In addition, there are models specially designed for the elderly. The difference between these seats is the presence of a chair lift.
Recliner for home and office
In models used at home, there are several options for tilting:
- For rest in the sitting position, the backrest has a slope of 100 °.
- For the mode in the viewing of telecasts - no more than 110 °.
- For complete relaxation (relaxation), the backrest is tilted 140 °.
An office chair with a recliner mechanism is designed to create maximum comfort for work and leisure, and this is done by changing the angle of inclination. Each modern model takes into account all areas of contact of the human body with the seat and back, therefore, being in any position, the tension is removed from the muscles of the neck and the spine is unloaded. For the legs there is a special pouffe with a certain angle of inclination.
A leather armchair is suitable for home and office. Consumers are offered a wide variety of color solutions.