Regardless of how beautifully the ceiling is made in the apartment, the finished view is given to it by the chandelier. That's where the question arises: how to hang a chandelier on the ceiling, because this seemingly simple procedure requires taking into account a lot of nuances. Their non-compliance is fraught with the fall of the chandelier and even damage to the ceiling coating. In this article, we'll look at how to properly hang a chandelier and how to make it connect.
The following basic set of tools is required for work:
- Drill, and in the case of installation on gypsum board or suspended ceiling - a perforator with a long drill;
- Screwdriver and indicator;
- Spanners for assembling chandeliers;
- Hammer to score the dowels;
- Roulette and marker for marking.
- 1 Choice of fixing method
- 2 How to hang a chandelier on a concrete ceiling with a strap and a hook
- 3 How to hang a chandelier on a plasterboard ceiling in the home
- 4 Correct installation of a chandelier on a stretched ceiling
- 5 How to connect your luminaire yourself to the switch
Choice of fixing method
Before you hang the chandelier to the ceiling, you need to determine the way of suspension - on the mounting bar or hook. The choice depends on several factors:
- Chandelier designs;
- A kind of ceiling.
Most modern luminaires come with a bar. However, some models of chandeliers, especially of European manufacturers, have a design for hanging on a hook, so when buying lighting equipment, you should take this moment into account. Those who previously hung the chandelier on the hook, often try to buy a chandelier of the same design to facilitate the installation process. In this case, the hook material should be taken into account, since the Soviet plastic elements may already be too brittle.
The type of ceiling also affects the preferred method of attachment. For example, when working with a concrete ceiling, you can use both the bar and the hook. But, hanging it on a false ceiling, you can not do without a hook, if you want to do all the work quickly. Again, the design of the equipment should be taken into account. For example, a round Chinese LED ceiling light with a remote control, most often used when working with stretch ceilings, is fixed to a cross-shaped bar.
How to hang a chandelier on a concrete ceiling with a strap and a hook
Concrete ceiling is highly durable, so it can be hung on a chandelier of almost any weight. The way of fastening depends on which version of fixation is provided by the manufacturer. It is important to immediately determine where the wire passes so as not to damage it. As a rule, the wire is directed perpendicular to the wall with the junction box.
Suspend the chandelier on the bracket
First of all, the chandeliers remove all the decorative elements, turn off the light in the room. It is advisable to turn off the light on the shield. The procedure is as follows:
- The marking is made under the bar. It is desirable to have it perpendicular to the cable;
- If the old chandelier was hung on a hook, then it should be bent to the side. It does not need to be cut down, in the future it can come in handy if you decide to change the lamp again;
- In the marked places holes are drilled, and with the help of dowels with screws the bracket is fixed;
- After fixing it on the ceiling, you should check the power supply and, with the lights off, connect the chandelier with the appropriate wires;
- On the bracket there are protruding pins on which the chandelier base is mounted. They are then screwed on the nuts until the saucer presses firmly against the ceiling.
After checking the efficiency of the chandelier, plafonds and decor are hung on it.
How to hang a chandelier on a hook, if the ceiling is concrete
This type of fastening is suitable for hanging heavy chandeliers, exceeding 5 kg by weight. In old houses, such hooks still remain, so it remains only to check their strength. For verification, it is sufficient to attach a load to the hook, the weight of which slightly exceeds the weight of the luminaire. If he does not start to swing after a while, then the hanging lamp can survive. In new buildings the hook will have to be screwed independently.
For this type of fastening, it is desirable to use an anchor bolt, into which a spacer hook is inserted. Its design allows you to literally dig into the material of the base, holding it securely there. Select the drill bit under the hole so that the anchor enters it tightly, but without effort. It is tightened up to the stop, thanks to which there is a spacer along the entire length of the dowel. To avoid trouble, the hook should be insulated. After that, the chandelier is hung on the hook and connected. To hide the place of installation on the chandelier there is a camouflage decorative bowl.
How to hang a chandelier on a plasterboard ceiling in the home
The installation of the luminaire is somewhat complicated, if it was previously decided to level the ceiling with gypsum board, because it is impossible to hang the chandelier directly on the gypsum board. To minimize the work and possible damage, it is better to use a hook. The general rules for installing the hook are the same as for a concrete ceiling, but there are a number of nuances:
- First, you must first form a hole in the skin. Its diameter is selected a little more than directly under the anchor, but smaller than the hook head;
- The plate is already drilled with a drill suitable for anchoring to a depth of 7-10 cm;
- The fastener is screwed into the anchor so that its point is below the ceiling at a distance of 1-2 cm. The chandelier is hung on the hook, the cup is connected and fixed.
If the luminaire is light, then it can be fixed on the profile with a strap. However, it should be borne in mind that it is made of soft aluminum, so it will eventually sag under the weight, deforming the ceiling.
Correct installation of a chandelier on a stretched ceiling
On such a ceiling with their own hands to install the lamp is the most difficult, because the material is easily deformed by inaccurate treatment. Ideally, the fixture for the chandelier is installed prior to the installation of the canvas, you just need to correctly choose its length. For this, a line is drawn between the profiles, intersecting in a place where the chandelier will be hung.
When hanging it on a hook, the scheme is similar to installing an anchor when working with a gypsum board ceiling, but the top of the
hook should be at the level of the scaffold. When installing the stretch ceiling, it is necessary to glue a thermo ring in the place where the chandelier is installed, excluding the spreading of PVC material. Then inside the ring a hole is cut for the hook. If the canvas has already been stretched, the ring is first glued and an aperture is formed. Then the hook is already installed in the main ceiling.
Next, consider how to hang a chandelier on a stretch ceiling using a bar:
- Since the structure of the fabric is soft, it is necessary to do a little preparatory work before hanging the chandelier. In particular, on the main ceiling it is necessary to attach a wooden bar, the thickness of which corresponds to the distance between the main and stretch ceiling. To do this easily with the help of conventional screws with dowels. Preliminary in the bar formed a hole for the withdrawal of wires;
- The ceiling cloth is stretched and a thermal ring is installed in the place where the lamp is fastened, inside which the hole is cut out;
- The mounting plate is installed. Fastening it on the bar is carried out in the limit of the ring, in no case through the canvas, so that the material does not begin to creep;
- The chandelier is connected, mounted on studs and fixed with decorative nuts.
When using chandeliers with a wide base, which often form the console, a cross-shaped bar is used. Consider how to connect these chandeliers to the ceiling step by step:
- A platform is formed from the plywood sheet, corresponding to the dimensions of the crosspiece. It also needs to make a hole for the output of wires;
- In the corners of the platform are mounted metal strips. They are necessary for fixing the platform on the main ceiling;
- After the installation of the cloth, the thermo rings are fixed in the fastening points of the crosspiece and holes are cut out. The cross is attached to the platform by screws;
- Then the chandelier is attached to the bar. It is important to make sure that the base of the chandelier is located parallel to the ceiling surface.
How to connect your luminaire yourself to the switch
First, you need to determine how much comes out of the ceiling of the wires, and how many on the switch of the keys. If it is supposed to connect the chandelier with two wires, the two-key switch can not be used. In addition, you have to pull another wire, but in this case, connect the chandelier the easiest - just collect the same color wires in the bundles.
If a chandelier with three wires, then the situation becomes a little more complicated. First of all, it is necessary to assemble the lamps into groups. The zero wires of all the cartridges are connected to the common zero wire. One remaining wire is connected to the first group of lamps, and the second to the second group. Be sure to turn off the power during connection. And not just a switch, but on the shield, after all, not always the wiring is laid by a qualified installer. As a result, the power breaks not the phase, but zero.
In this article, we examined in detail how to hang the chandelier and connect it to the network. With all the rules, you can do it without help. To connect a chandelier it is possible only at full confidence of a positive result, but nevertheless it is better to entrust this procedure to the fitter with a corresponding level of qualification.