Arch to the kitchen is an interesting decor element, able to decorate any room. Arched openings not only look attractive, but also allow you to visually increase the area of housing. They also perfectly zoned space. Why do some people think that installing arches instead of doors is the ideal solution when upgrading the kitchen, and others will never agree to such changes?
Advantages of kitchen arches
To the pluses of the arch between the kitchen and the living room are:
- Visual increase in space. A small room visually seems bigger than exactly the same, but with a door. This is due to the erasure of the border between the kitchen and the hall.
- Kitchens with an arch look original. Banal interior with doors do not surprise anyone, but with the help of an arch you can quickly and inexpensively add an apartment of exclusivity. The design will emphasize the exquisite taste of the owners of the house.
- Arched constructions allow you to move freely and quickly, you do not need to close and open the door.
- Expanding visibility, thanks to which, for example, moms will be able to observe what their child is doing, without departing from the plate.
- Saving. The arch between the kitchen and the living room is cheaper than buying a door and accessories.
- The opportunity to show your imagination, to realize any ideas, creating a cozy atmosphere. The variety of forms of arches allows using them in interiors of any style.
Disadvantages of arches
Negative moments that owners of arches at home may encounter:
- The smell of cooked food. Many do not rush to get rid of the door in the kitchen, for fear that the flavor of the food will spread throughout the house. This minus is quite easy to fix: you need to install a powerful hood.
- Distribution of noise. The landlady can no longer cook while the household is resting, because the sounds of thundering dishes will be heard outside the kitchen. Hanging out with guests in this room, most likely, will also prevent relatives from going about their business or sleeping.
- Owners of one-room apartments will lose the opportunity to use the kitchen space as an office for work, where you can work in silence without being distracted by the conversations of other family members.
- The kitchen is always in sight. In order not to be embarrassed during the unexpected arrival of friends because of unwashed dishes, it will be necessary to keep the kitchen clean at all times.
Types of arches in the shape of the arch
Let's consider the most actual types of arches.
The most common option, which is also called Roman. This is due to the fact that it was the Romans in the construction began in the place of the door to make arches semi-circular shape. The design of arches from plasterboard of this form is suitable for any interior. Particularly well, the designs of the correct semicircular shape look in rooms with high ceilings. The arch between the kitchen and the hallway in modern apartments with a small doorway is often performed in a classical form, since this type of construction is suitable for bottlenecks.
A very simple form, in which the arch is formed in the form of a rectangle. Ideal for small apartments with low ceilings. Thus, without much effort, you can combine the kitchen with the hallway, changing the door to an empty opening. Arched constructions of the portal form look strictly and restrained.
The arched opening instead of the modern-style door is a "hybrid" between the classic version and the portal. Strict straight walls are combined with a round arc arch. This option is ideal for low ceilings and large spaces. For the kitchen, the modernist style is suitable if you connect it to a dining room or living room.
Interest in the lives of the inhabitants of the east resulted in the use of special arched constructions. This form is complicated, numerous sharp angles and convex surfaces. Used exclusively for creating interiors in the Mediterranean style.
Easy to implement form. The hosts prefer the kitchen design with the ellipse-shaped arch, because it is versatile and has an exquisite look. This option is suitable for different styles of interior, it does not reduce the useful space, because of what is often used to separate the kitchen. Often combined with the columns.
More often people choose arches of simple forms, but designers advise to combine habitual forms and create something unique.
Making an opening in a room can be a real creative process. Modern technologies will make it possible to implement any creative solutions, be it an asymmetrical arch or a traditional form with extravagant decorative elements.
Materials for the manufacture of arches
Let's talk about the materials common to making arches.
The cheapest option. However, despite the cheapness and simplicity of fastening the products, plastic does not have many fans. This is due to the fact that PVC is usually available for sale ready-made structures. They are all standard in size and shape, which does not give the opportunity to pose. In addition, this material is not very suitable for creating a cozy atmosphere. Although if you set out to do something modern and non-standard, then with a successful choice of colors, the result will be very acceptable. It also fits well with the built-in lighting.
From gypsum cardboard in the kitchen it is possible to make a design of both non-standard format and classical form. GKL needs to be fixed to a metal frame, which has been preliminarily given the desired shape. Then the surface is shpaklyuyut and painted. Thus, arches from plasterboard to the kitchen can acquire not only the necessary shape, but also a shade of color. Instead of paint, the surface can be decorated with wallpaper.
Wood is a natural material with a pleasant scent, which is often used for making kitchen arches. On sale there is a large selection of ready-made wooden arches, but it will not be difficult and self-constructing.
The advantage of the tree for finishing the arch is that it does not need additional decoration. It is enough to treat the product with lacquer.
A tree is often used for the construction of plasterboard, because it is quite expensive to make an arch entirely of wood. The disadvantages include sensitivity to scratches.
Decoration of an arch
Arches of plasterboard need decoration. Finishing works should start with putty. After the surface is leveled in this way, you can choose how to decorate the arch in the kitchen. There are several ways to do this:
- glued with the same wallpaper as the walls are glued (or choose a contrasting color and pattern);
- to paint;
- to paint;
- to finish with artificial or natural stone;
- lay out the tiles;
- with the help of glass inserts make a stained-glass window;
- lay out the patterns in mosaic;
- apply decorative plaster;
- use curtains.
Kitchen arches look very attractive. Therefore, people think about whether it is worthwhile to install them, despite some shortcomings. If you want to quickly and inexpensively transform the appearance of your home, the construction of the arch instead of the door will be an excellent solution.