Florarium - mini-greenhouse in a glass container is a fashionable interior solution for connoisseurs of original compositions from exotic flowers. A miniature garden in a transparent container provides for a special ecosystem with an imitation of the natural habitat of the selected plants. With the help of the florarium it is easy to create a particle of the natural landscape of mountain plateaus, hot prairies or jungles in the interior of a city apartment.
- 1 Fundamentals of composition
- 2 Types of florariums and their features
- 3 How to arrange a florarium
- 4 Plants for mini-greenhouses
- 5 Cacti and succulents for dry desert compositions
- 6 Soil for florarium
- 7 Choice of place and care
- 8 Ideas for florarium by own hands
- 9 Florarium in a glass bottle
- 10 Florarium with orchids
- 11 Suspended mini garden
- 12 How to make a fllorarium by yourself
Fundamentals of composition
When designing the composition, special attention is paid to such aspects as:
- choice of capacity for florarium;
- the correct selection of plant components;
- composition of soil mixture;
- decorative elements of the composition.
It is also necessary to provide adequate lighting and ventilation to create a comfortable microclimate in a mini greenhouse.
For the florarium use transparent containers of glass or other light-permeable substrates. Special containers are most often produced in the form of a spherical vessel with a hole in the upper part, in some models a cover is provided.
If desired, you can use any suitable dishes, for example, a glass teapot or jar, a crystal vase, a glass or a decanter. Suitable transparent tanks, containers, aquariums of different configurations.
When decorating a mini-greenhouse in a glass, plants with similar requirements for environmental conditions are selected. So, representatives of the tropics need a high humidity of air, respond well to spraying. For succulents, it is necessary to create conditions for desert landscapes with a dry and hot climate. Consequently, for each of them requires a different composition of the soil, and the intensity of irrigation also varies.
Types of florariums and their features
There are several types of miniature gardens in a glass vessel.
The Florarium of this category represents a beautiful imitation of moist tropical forests with a variety of plants. In this case, there is no need to look for rare species of exotic cultures, the image of the jungle can be created with the help of green plantations from flower shops. Correctly picking plants of different heights with similar requirements for soil and watering, it is not difficult to create an imitation of multilevel selva forests.
Inhabitants of the tropics prefer high humidity. It requires a vessel with a narrowed neck or a small hole with a cover for rare aeration. When decorating a composition, it is worthwhile to incorporate into it a miniature pond in the form of a cup with water. Also, to maintain a sufficient level of humidity, use a small snag, first holding it in water.
The composition "Desert"
Florarium with cacti and succulents is the ideal solution if there is no possibility of careful care of exotic pets. These representatives of the plant world perfectly tolerate drought, undemanding environment conditions. For inhabitants of deserts choose an open container, you can use an aquarium or a vase.
In a florarium with a mountain landscape, plant species are grown from high-mountainous rocky plateaus with a dry climate or forest foothills. In the first case inhabitants of semi-deserts and some climbing cultures are actual, and in the second - representatives of moist tropical forests. The soil for desert residents should be of appropriate composition with large sand, for the composition of the forest foothills is characterized by a soil saturated with organic soil with quality drainage.
To simulate the mountain landscape in the decor, stones with sharp edges of various sizes are actively used. With the help of rocks of irregular shape it is easy to create the effect of rocky protrusions and peaks in the environment of green plantations.
In nature, mosses grow in all climatic zones, usually forming dense clusters in shady places. Mosses like moisture, there are species adapted to dry solar conditions or common in regions with constant low temperatures. In florariums, this vegetation is often used as a decorative covering of open areas of the surface under plantations. In addition, moss can also become the central figure of the composition in the form of a velvety green carpet with small patches of other plants or without them.
It is characterized by acidic soil, you can buy a special substrate and lay it on top of a layer of ordinary earth. In the florarium with moss are actual miniature reservoirs, it is also important to periodically spray the green coating.
By the type of vessels used, several types of greenhouses are divided:
- Bottle florarium. This solution includes all varieties of large capacity containers with a narrow neck. The horizontal versions of the rectangular shape and traditional cylindrical configurations on the stand are popular. Vertical variations of bottle greenhouses are relevant when creating compositions with climbing plant species and relatively tall crops;
- Aquarium type. The model provides for volume containers of regular shapes: round tanks, square or rectangular configurations of glass or transparent materials. Most often, the design is an open model;
- Mini-florarium. The composition is created on the basis of small containers. Actual glasses and vases, flasks and beakers of original shapes, special containers of small size for the design of a miniature garden.
A separate category of mini-greenhouses in the glass are wall and pendant configurations. Wall forms of florariums are usually a transparent cap with a base of plastic or plexiglass, can have the form of a hemisphere or a rectangle. Suspended specimens mainly provide miniature solutions in the form of spherical, oval or teardrop designs.
How to arrange a florarium
When choosing plants for florarium, it is worth considering the following recommendations of specialists:
- for cultivating in the florarium, cultivars that do not differ in high growth rates and reach a height of no more than 20 cm are suitable. In priority, hygrophilous representatives of the flora who are also not afraid of limitations in illumination;
- do not get carried away and experiment with the planting of cacti, since not all species of this family feel well in a mini garden in a glass container. An exception is only some tropical species of cacti.
When growing flowering plants in the florarium, good ventilation should be created to exclude the possibility of rotting petals and peduncles after the flowering period. It is necessary to remove the faded flowers in time with fallen leaves.
Plants for mini-greenhouses
The creation of tropical flora-tropics involves the use of the following plant species:
- Mini ferns. Pteris, multicore, asplenium and adianum are planted as key figures of the composition or used as an openwork supplement of more densely growing representatives of the tropics;
- Mosses. Classic sphagnum can create a bright green coating of high density. In the flower shops there are also other varieties of moss-like with an unusually beautiful structure of foliage and even species with metallic tint;
- Crotons. Culture is valued as the most vivid in terms of shades and patterns of the kind of ornamenta
l-deciduous plants for florariums;
- Selaginella. Openwork and dense foliage fascinates with a complex structure. The decorative qualities of this beautiful woman from the tropics are fully revealed in the humid environment of the mini greenhouse in the glass;
- Orchids. Most often these capricious flowers are grown in a company of relatives or in proud solitude. Florarium with orchids is called an orchidarium, the composition requires the installation of heating and ventilation systems.
In tropical florariums, mini-violets, ground-covering fittonia, mini cyclamens, miniature varieties of ivy and rhododendrons, guzmania and cryptangus, solerailia and creeping ficus are also relevant.
Cacti and succulents for dry desert compositions
For desolate florariums, plants are selected that are well tolerated by dry conditions:
- Cacti. Rebution, prickly pear, noroktus and ehinopsis are able to live perfectly in conditions of minimal humidity. They give the composition the greatest similarity to the landscapes of the desert;
- It was young. Stone rose looks great in dry mini-gardens, it is able to survive in the most extreme conditions;
- Echeveria. A classic representative of the Tolstyankov family, the succulent fully reveals its enchantment in the desert florarium;
- Agave. Succulent with aggressive character and thorns is able to recreate the sultry landscapes of Mexican prairies;
- Aloe. A variety of decorative species and varieties of this classic succulent allows you to design a wide variety of compositions with hardy and unpretentious plants;
- Adromiscus. The short succulent is known for its bizarre forms of succulent leaves, the color of which varies from pale green to purple, and there are also varieties of brick tonality.
For cultivation in the desert florarium there are also decorative and deciduous species of Kalanchoe, ragwort with pea-leaf foliage, malefore, money tree, dikia, milkweed and greens.
Soil for florarium
When choosing the soil for plants in a glass mini-greenhouse, the characteristics of the crops must be taken into account. In the flower shop, you can buy a ready-made substrate for ferns, if a tropical flower arrangement is to be created. Succulents are represented by special soil compositions with sand and gravel. In soil mixtures for the florarium there are no fertilizers, as this is fraught with the rapid growth of seedlings, which leads to a decrease in the ornamental quality of the miniature greenhouse. When self-preparing substrate, take equal parts of peat, perlite and vermiculite. The composition for succulents is added with coarse sand and fine gravel fractions.
Choice of place and care
The place for installation of a decorative composition is chosen depending on the requirements of the inhabitants of the florarium to the lighting conditions. With a lack of natural light, it is easy to fix the situation with the help of special lighting devices. Plants in the tank should be planted in a centered way, placing tall individuals in the middle, and around - small. In this case, when the glass container is rotated periodically with respect to the light source to ensure uniform growth, the decorativeness of the object will always be at a height.
It is worth remembering that succulents require a lot of light, but direct rays can not be allowed to avoid the risk of burns on the leaves. Representatives of the tropical flora tolerate penumbra, so that the container with ferns can be installed a little further from the window.
Since the glass vessel maintains its own microclimate, it is not difficult to create a suitable temperature regime for its inhabitants in the florarium. Humidity is regulated on the basis of irrigation and spraying. Succulents and cacti are watered every two weeks, they are not afraid of even a prolonged drought, and react excessively to excess moisture. For tropical individuals, frequent spraying and high humidity are favorable. Fertilize plants in the florarium is not necessary, with the soil is recommended to change every 2 years.
Ideas for florarium by own hands
To create a mini greenhouse by yourself, you can buy a special container of interesting geometry or use glassware. For example, a florarium in a glass can be an effective decoration of the desktop. In the open tank succulents live well, they do not need high humidity. In a large glass can be planted several types of miniature plants, creating an original flower bed in the glass.
Florarium in a glass bottle
Such a composition is most often created on the basis of hygrophilous inhabitants of the tropics. Here, vines, mini-ferns, and mossy ones look spectacular. Closed florarium must be periodically ventilated to avoid the risk of fungus and mold.
Florarium with orchids
Perhaps the most beautiful and desirable kind of mini greenhouse in the interior. Fortunately in flower shops it is not difficult to find a suitable variety of orchids with miniature forms. This beauty from the tropics does not need the usual soil, instead of the soil in the tank, use bark and beautiful pebbles, which gives the composition a special character and color.
Suspended mini garden
Mini-garden in the form of spherical shapes - another bright design element. This form of the florarium is distinguished by a comprehensive review, it is popular in the design of interiors of apartments and offices.
How to make a fllorarium by yourself
To create an interesting art object in the form of a small flower arrangement in a transparent container, it is necessary to prepare the following materials and devices:
- Glass vessel. You can buy a special tank for florarium or use dishes and other glass objects of everyday life;
- Plants for disembarkation. For beginners, it's easier to use succulents;
- Priming. Soil mixture is prepared depending on the type of selected crops;
- Drainage. Use pebbles, expanded clay, broken brick, large river sand. A layer of painted decorative sand looks bright and original;
- Decor. To decorate the florarium use figures from a poly-stone, glass or plastic. It can be a miniature castle or lighthouse, decorative stones, colored sand, figurines of exotic animals or mythical creatures;
- Tweezers, wand or spoon;
- Pulverizer or syringe for irrigation and spraying.
Sequence of work:
- It is necessary to create a good drainage at the bottom of the vessel from the selected materials. It should be remembered that the drainage layer is 1/3 of the soil.
- For a beautiful effect, you can lay a thin layer of colored pebbles over the drainage.
- Then pour the soil and moisten the composition with a spray. Pencils or a spoon prepare pits for planting plants.
- Using tweezers if necessary, it is necessary to plant the selected crops according to the scheme. Soil around plants should be lightly compacted. The seedlings are watered with a syringe.
Then place the decorative elements, the open surface is covered with moss or colored sand. In the end, it is necessary to spray the entire composition with water.
Florariums are popular in the design of interiors of apartments and offices. This interesting art object is able to charm with spectacular views, while the original composition is not difficult to create independently.