Human health is affected by many factors, one of the most important is the quality of water. In the early twentieth century, Halsey Taylor's father died, as it turned out, he drank contaminated water and fell ill with typhus, which led to his death. The loss of a loved one pushed Halsey Taylor to create a prototype of a modern cooler - a drinking fountain. Since then, coolers can be found in offices and homes, they are becoming more functional and almost indispensable for anyone who follows health.
What is a cooler?
A cooler is an apparatus designed to provide offices, kindergartens, schools and houses with drinking water. In some cases it has additional functions: cooling, heating, aerating and disinfection of water. Thanks to the cooler, water is available at any time of the day, and has a comfortable temperature for drinking. The water is packaged in standard bottles with a volume of 12, 22 or 19 liters, and in the case of an adapter - 5 liters.
The cooler is most often a plastic case with a funnel for installing a tank with water. The housing can have 1 or 2 valves, as well as light indicators indicating the heating or cooling of water, and a switch.
The cooler works from an ordinary power outlet (220V), and even despite the fact that the device remains switched on permanently, it consumes little electricity. This is due to the cooler's equipment with temperature sensors, thanks to which cooling and heating is not always done, but from time to time, when this is necessary.
Principle of operation
The cooler works on this principle: a certain amount of water from the bottle enters the special tanks in order to warm up or cool down. With a decrease in the amount of water in the tanks comes a new portion and is brought to the required temperature.
To what values the water is heated or cooled depends on the type of apparatus. The maximum heating temperature is usually 92-98 degrees.
Advantages of cooler
The device has many advantages, making it irreplaceable when used at home:
- Benefit. Using the cooler allows you to keep in the drinking water all useful microelements for the human body. That is, the water remains "alive" and saturates the person with a healthy fluid.
- Convenience. The device is extremely simple to install, and how to use it without difficulty will understand even the kid, because special skills and knowledge is not required. In addition, the cooler allows maintaining the optimal water temperature, which is especially important for families with young children. There are models equipped with a special tap for hot water.
- Economical. It is much more profitable if we consider the issue from the point of view of economical consumption of electric power, purchase a cooler for the house, rather than an electric kettle. The water will be heated equally well, but the energy consumption will decrease significantly.
Modern coolers are presented in the widest range, they are of different types and differ in design. There are large, smaller and very small, floor or table, that is, everyone can choose a device for your taste and budget.
How to choose a cooler for your home?
In order to save space, it is more reasonable to choose a water cooler for a desktop type home. Such a device has small dimensions, but is characterized by increased functionality. If the cooler is intended for a large family, and the kitchen is spacious, then the floor model is suitable.
To operate at home, it is quite enough ordinary desktop device, which has a basic standard set of functions. Options, which are additionally equipped with coolers, are most often in demand in the office environment.
Although here everything depends on the personal preferences and thickness of the purse of the future owner.
According to the principle of operation, all coolers are divided into two categories, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Compressors are more expensive than electronic models. It is for this reason that for home use it is bought much less often. Another drawback is the noise level produced by the cooler during operation: it is high enough and can cause discomfort, therefore, most likely, the device will have to be switched off at night, which also does not add comfort to the operation.
Among the advantages are high performance, reliability, impressive dimensions and many additional functions. It is because of the merits of such devices are purchased in office space.
Electronic coolers cool water on the principle of Peltier. Such devices are characterized by low productivity: approximately 1 liter of water per hour (5-6 glasses). Small capacity makes the electronic cooler unsuitable for operation in crowded office buildings, educational institutions or schools, but for home this model can be very convenient.
Water through an electronic cooler can be cooled to 12-15 degrees, which may not be enough for hot summer days. For this reason it is inappropriate to put such a cooler in rooms with a high air temperature, because the water will be cooled for a long time.
In the cooler there is a fan that can become clogged if you place the device in a dusty or weakly ventilated room. Then the cooling module will stop working at all.
All of the above characteristics combined with low cost make the cooler with an electronic cooling system an ideal device for home use. The house or apartment - the most suitable conditions for the operation of the electronic cooler: small water requirements for several people.
Additional options for coolers
Cooling, heating and dosage are the main options for coolers. Advanced functionality implies the equipment of the device:
- Refrigerators to keep fresh cream for coffee, milk, yogurt, candy or chocolate. Refrigerators are built only in compressor models and require a very careful attitude. For example, in a lying position they can not be transported. As a rule, the cooling chamber has a small volume: 15-20 liters, and using it as a backup refrigerator is a very reasonable solution.
- Water aerating. The cooler is equipped with a special gas tank. Especially this option enthralls children: one button press is enough to turn ordinary water with sugar into a delicious chilled soda. One cylinder with gas on average is enough. To make 1 thousand glasses of soda. Models with the function of water aerating are often floor-standing, since additional equipment is needed to accommodate the equipment.
- Built-in lockers. Coolers with cabinets for storage of utensils and other household utensils are very popular, as they provide additional comfort during operation.
- Ice generator. The cooler design assumes the presence of a special compartment, in which ice is prepared. The option will appeal to people who prefer chilled drinks.
- Ozonation. This option allows you to disinfect the water, while the bactericidal effect persists for two, or even three weeks.
A water cooler at home is very useful in everyday life acquisition. In fact, it can easily replace an electric kettle, while the consumption of electricity for heating water will significantly decrease. Models with ozonation, the function of making ice or with a refrigerator will make life even more comfortable.