Loft is an urban style of the interior, which is characterized by an abundance of open space and the presence of industrial parts. It arose from the desire to turn the workshop into a residential apartment. The loft-style living room is in some ways an example of a reverse process.
Who will design a loft-style living room?
The interior of the living room in loft style is perfect:
- representatives of creative professions (loft allows you to combine the living room with a workshop or even an exhibition hall);
- owners of apartments with free planning (no partitions - the basis of the loft);
- people who want to save money (this style does not involve expensive furniture and finishing materials);
- freedom-loving personalities who are not afraid to stand out.
The loft can be used both in an apartment and in a country house. This style gives a lot of room for experiments with the zoning of the room. It allows you to harmoniously combine the living room with the bedroom and kitchen.
Features of the layout and color scheme
The main principle of loft is open space. Ideally, partitions separate only bathrooms and utility rooms. In practice, this means that the living rooms are separated from the kitchens not by partitions with doors, but by zoning the room. Zoning is done using flooring, furniture, different in texture and color of the walls. These techniques allow you to create a loft, even in a Khrushchev.
It will be most appropriate to describe the style in rooms with high ceilings and large windows. If the ceiling height and the breadth of the space allow, it is worthwhile to equip the second level for a combined bedroom or study. Equally convenient in practice is a project in which the design of the kitchen and the living room is combined. The main thing is to think carefully about the ventilation system, otherwise the living room textiles will absorb excess odors.
Loft is quite democratic in the sphere of color choice. The color scheme in the living room is determined by a common idea. Even the most unexpected decisions are allowed. If it is important for you to withstand an industrial atmosphere, pay attention to the muffled-dusty hues. They must play the first violin in the room. Bright colors are recommended only for individual accents.
Decoration of walls, floor and ceiling
If the living room is small, then visually increase the space will help a dazzling white ceiling. Loft welcomes the use for the decoration of the ceiling pipes and wooden beams. As for the floor, the most common laminate is suitable. Although the spirit of the loft most corresponds to a natural tree, varnished. In one room, you can use several types of floor covering, this will help zonate the room.
The ideal solution for finishing the walls of a small living room is the imitation of brickwork. Simulation of bare concrete or careless plastering is also possible. For the living room, the loft is suitable for a conventional emulsion, which allows you to paint the walls in any color. These types of decoration should emphasize the primordial walls in the living room in the loft style. At the same time, this style makes it possible to replace traditional walls with interior partitions, whose role can be played by shelving, glass blocks or screens.
Interior design in the style of the loft is characterized by the use of diverse light sources, which, in addition to direct use, will help zonate space. For this purpose, you can:
- Chandeliers. Chandeliers in the living room in loft style is better to choose geometric shapes. Traditionally, they are made in white, gray or black. In the described style the chandelier with a metal frame and a glass shade perfectly fits.
- Floor lamps. Ideal fit models with a large lampshade and non-standard silhouette. It can be studio light, or even a railway searchlight.
- LED lights. If you want to add a living room of lightness and visually increase its volume, do not miss the opportunity to take advantage of this option. With the help of LED lighting it is easy to form a bedroom zone.
Using light to zoning the room, you can literally turn off or turn on certain zones. This is an excellent option for a bedroom combined with a living room. The sleeping area can also be separated by thick curtains.
Furnishings and living room furniture in loft style
In the center of the living room you can safely place a massive sofa. It can be covered with leather or textiles. The use of the effect of aging is encouraged. Well, if the sofa is supplemented with large armchairs or even ottomans.
Equally important is the availability of a minimalistic coffee table. A huge TV can easily fit into such a living room. You should also experiment with the fireplace. The main thing is that it does not fall out of industrial stylistics.
Loft allows you to include in the interior and quite unexpected things, for example, hammocks, swings, baseball nets, etc. All this can be safely combined with such ancient interior items as a forged chandelier, rocking chair or antique bookcase. The combination of the old and the new is a hallmark of the loft.
However, there are certain taboos. First of all, these are lace curtains. Instead, it is better to use dense cotton curtains or metal blinds. Supporters of the traditional loft recommend to abandon the curtains altogether. As for the textures, pay attention to suede, cashmere and upholstery with pimply texture. Carpets can be made of felt or felt.
Living room in loft style: 3 design options
At first glance loft may seem rather narrow style, associated with attic, factory or warehouse premises, but modern designers significantly expanded its variations, which allows to decorate the living room in three directions, while remaining within the loft boundaries.
- Industrial living room. In this case, it will be necessary to recreate the atmosphere of the factory workshop. To this end, you can use metal structures, coarse cotton curtains, wooden beams, ventilation pipes, etc. Furniture in such a living room may be small, but all items must have the correct geometric shapes and be multifunctional.
- Bohemian living room. This decision implies the preservation of the common features of the factory premises. The key role is played by creative furniture and accessories (curtains, chandeliers, etc.). In such an interior organically fit art objects. At the same time, they can not be combined with each other.
- Glamorous living room. Here an important role is played by the color scale. A combination of pastel shades of spectral colors is welcomed. For example, a gray-lilac palette. It is important to choose the right lighting, a metal chandelier or a floor lamp is ideal. A note of glamor can make a mirror in the Baroque style or a carpet with an animalistic print.
Thanks to the use of a loft, the living room can turn into a multifunctional premise that is able to combine even such distantly appointed rooms as a bedroom or dining room in loft style.