Such extraordinary plumbing fixtures, like floor mixers, have become more active in the past couple of decades. The reason for developing new models was the desire of homeowners to swim with increased comfort. Now the baths are often installed not in the corner or near the wall as before, but in the center of the room, respectively, special methods of posting communications were required.
What is a floor mixer?
Such a bathroom faucet looks like a high stand (up to one and a half meters), equipped with a spout and holders for towels and shower. The device is installed in the floor directly at the bath: at the request of users either in the legs, or from the side to the right or left. It is assumed that the piping under the floor will be completed during the major overhaul. If this is not possible, the pipes are masked along the walls using waterproofing boxes.
The floor mixer for the bath is supplied with 1-2 supports, in which the pipes responsible for the supply of hot and cold water are hidden. Like all modern models, this device is equipped with 1-2 valves, a water consumption limiter, an aerator, and a leak protector. Reverse current protection is also mandatory.
The original floor mixer for the sink and shower can have a variety of color and style solutions:
- minimalistic high-tech;
- a permanent classic;
- Victorian style.
Thanks to the chrome coating, the products are beautifully designed, long-lasting, resistant to mechanical stress. Very much in demand mixers, whose appearance imitates bronze and gold.
Features of the installation of sanitary engineering
The installation of a floor mixer is a very complicated procedure, involving the carrying out of a major overhaul in the room. Piping is carried out before the formation of the filler screed and the laying of the cladding (usually tiles), professional plumbers are attracted to work. You will need plastic pipes with a diameter of 25 mm: troughs are created for them in the floor, which are subsequently filled with mortar.
For connection of plastic pipes, a soldering iron is used, when propylene communications are combined with metallic ones, special equipment is used as adapters. A concrete screed is laid on top, then tiles.
Advantages and disadvantages of stand-alone equipment
Floor mixers for baths, sinks, showers in comparison with competitors have significant advantages:
- simplicity, ease of use;
- durability and reliability;
- the possibility of decorating the bathroom interior.
By the minuses of equipment can be attributed to the high cost of components, in addition, the installation of the floor mixer, too, will fly into a pretty penny. Usually, spacious rooms with an installed in the middle of the bathroom are found only in elite housing, so this technological solution is available only to users with incomes well above average.
The profile market is flooded with products of domestic and foreign brands, and all of them have the following types of mixers:
- with two levers or valves. This is a classic constructive solution for the sanitary engineering class in question, but it has drawbacks: gaskets on the valves quickly fail due to wear, it takes a long time to adjust the temperature of the water jet with both hands;
- a product with one lever is more convenient, since it can be operated with one hand. The main advantage of the model - the presence of a ceramic cartridge, but if the water is stiff, it will need to be changed on a regular basis;
- Cascade mixers with a shower look impressive, but in practice they are not very comfortable. In addition, the mechanism that mimics the waterfall quickly breaks down;
- Thermostatic models are suitable for connoisseurs of a practical interior: temperature indicators are output to a mini-display, which facilitates the regulation procedure, there are regulators responsible for economical consumption, aerator, leakage safety device;
- Non-contact devices are controlled by an entire system of infrared sensors. This is a very hygienically safe solution, since users do not touch the valves with their hands, it also contributes to significant water savings.
A separate niche in this category of sanitary technicians is occupied by 2 more types of floor mixers:
- Electronic - this is an improved version of the non-contact faucet, it allows you to create personal modes of water supply, for each of which you can set the temperature and pressure level. This solution is not suitable only if there is increased water hardness.
- Combined floor taps are equipped with an elongate swivel spout, it can alternately be used over the bathroom and washbasin. The model is quite comfortable, attracts with unusual performance, but its moving elements wear out quickly.
What are the columns like?
A characteristic interior element, which all floor mixers are without exception, are strong columns that are fixed on the floor in the immediate vicinity of the bathtub or sink. This component represents 1-2 stands, at the top of which there is a spout, in the same segment of the structure there is a shower head equipped with a hose.
A significant advantage of the presence in the composition of the column can be called high strength of such a combination, especially if you consider that the plumbing will be operated in intensive mode.
The reliability of components and materials makes it possible to safely introduce columns, even in expensive interiors, where it is undesirable to further reconstruct.
The possibility of combining faucets with other interior objects
If the floor mixers are not only for a bath with a shower, that is, when it is planned to use them for a sink, it is advisable to install such a plumber in the center of the room.
Moreover, the structure should easily rotate in the desired direction. A potential vulnerability of such a layout may be visual clutter of space: users will have to be cautious, moving between the sink and the bathroom.
More convenient and aesthetic are the solutions when the floor plumbing is serviced only by the font. The design used only for ablution will be located at arm's length, and if it is equipped with a single-lever cock, the owner will only need to raise his hand and adjust the water - no unnecessary manipulation.
Often, bowls and mixers are performed in contrasting shades, adhering to the overall gamut of the room. For example, a column with a spout and a shower head can have a decorative coating of "metallic", then the bowl and podium are usually performed in white. Beautiful look bronze taps, complemented by inlays of low-key stones or enamels - they become a kind of accent in the design of the bathroom.
Due to the specifics of the installation and the features of the manufacture, the floor mixer belongs to the elite class of sanitary ware, so when choosing a model and drafting a room it is necessary to take into account that it will not be easy to change the structure or its location - you will have to break the finish, dismantle the floor and introduce new communication schemes. If there is a desire to use this kind of plumbing, you need to think about its relationship with other nodes in the room and the actual execution in such a way that the result will be happy for the family for many years, and will meet their needs.